Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfering Data Between Harddrives  (Read 4383 times)

ahol29

Transfering Data Between Harddrives
« on: February 25, 2005, 01:56:46 PM »
Hi,  I just bought a new harddrive for my computer.  I am going to remove the one in their now and replace it with the new one.
I was wondering how I can take all my files and info from my first harddrive and tranfer it over to the new harddrive.  I want this tranfer to include everything, even the OS.

Any help would be nice.  Thank you

gussery

Re: Transfering Data Between Harddrives
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 03:30:57 PM »
Partition Commander from vcom.  http://www.v-com.com/product/Partition_Commander_Home.html
will do a sector by sector *censored* copy and even expand the partition for you automagically.  You have to purchase it though.

I have also used a product called diskcopy from Partition Magic to do the same thing, costs more though, if it is still available.

Even though both of these cost money, they save me, many many times the costs in time and frustration.

Alternately you could reinstall your OS and programs on your new drive and copy the data files from your old to new drive.

Gary

ahol29

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 04:37:26 PM »
So using this will allow me to move everything from one harddrive to the other.  I plan on selling my old harddrive so thats why I need to know.  I don't want 2 harddrives.

Thanks

gussery

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 04:56:06 PM »
They do a sector by sector copy.  So your new drive will look like your old except maybe bigger.  You will still new to clean off your old drive after you have verified everything is working properly.

Wouldn't want to sell your data too................

jay_deex3

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »
Norton Ghost is a good program to copy one hard drive to another.......very easy to use......you should also look into Part-Zap, which is a batch file you put on a floppy, and boot from enter one command from DOS command prompt and whole drive erased.....

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 08:47:27 PM »
Norton (Symantec) Ghost gets my vote.
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

ahol29

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 02:47:11 AM »
Ok, well I have Norton SystemWorks and it has Ghost on it.  One other quick question?  Do I need to have both drives hooked up in order to tranfer the data??
Or do I just make a couple of disk from one harddrive and when I put the other in, I just install the disk??

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 12:15:18 PM »
Create image to 3rd hard drive or CD's.  You can't backup from or restore to the same drive.  Didn't your new hard drive come with utilities to do this?

ahol29

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 12:20:38 PM »
No, I bought it off Ebay.  I've never done anything with harddrives before so I basically have no clue as to what I am doing.

If I can find the book too Norton Systemworks, will it tell me in their how to do it??
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 12:24:26 PM by ahol29 »