Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using Pendrive as a RAM on XP  (Read 5450 times)

Ashutosh32

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
    • Google
  • Experience: Experienced
Using Pendrive as a RAM on XP
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:37:38 AM »
I have a P4 computer but its RAM is just 256 MB. If anyone knows any method to use a pendrive as a RAM, please tell it to me. Thanks in advance.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Using Pendrive as a RAM on XP
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:43:56 AM »
This is not recommended, not practical, and I don't think it's possible.

USB Storage Devices store memory as Flash memory, which is different than the type of memory used in your RAM. They are accessed differently and have different characteristics.
The main difference is that the Flash Drive retains its memory when the power is turned off, whereas the RAM is completely erased when you turn off the power.

Also, if you manage to get the USB Drive working as RAM, it would be like driving a car without circular wheels. It is just too slow to be used as RAM.

Can you not purchase any more RAM? It doesn't come too expensive.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Using Pendrive as a RAM on XP
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:36:34 AM »
Windows Vista can use a flash drive as RAM.  This feature was introduced with Vista; it's called ReadyBoost.  I've tried it with my notebook PC, using a 2GB PNY Optima Attache flash drive, but can't say that I've noticed any difference in peformance when using it. 

Also, if the notebook PC goes into Sleep mode, Vista fails to renew or reinitiate ReadyBoost upon awakening.  I read an article mentioning this problem and it said the SP1 resolved that.  But, I have SP1 installed and the problem persists.  So, at least for now, I've stopped using the flash drive for this purpose.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost for more on ReadyBoost.