Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer crashed, boots only to a blank screen, is data recoverable?  (Read 4400 times)

kay_li13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi,

So I have a Windows XP computer from Toshiba, that is 2 years old.  It has been freezing up and so I've been having to push the power button to restart it.  Except this last time when I did that, it restarted to a black screen, and the only thing I could see was the mouse pointer (and I could move it around).  I tried restarting it again several times after that, and Windows would give me 2 options, to start windows normally, or to start it from my last good configuration.  Neither of these work.  Even in the safe mode, it shows only a black screen with safe mode on the corners.  It boots up to the windows page, but does not get as far as the login page before going to the black screen.  Right now I am most concerned with getting my data off of the hard drive, since I have 60gb worth of stuff on it.  I looked up some articles that recommended moving the hard drive to another computer, but I don't know how to do that.  What should I do?  I was planning on using the recovery disk to format the drive anyways, since I just got a new Mac, but not before I got all my important data off!  So my question is, is there a way to get this data?  And how should I go about it, whether it be moving the hard drive or not. Please help!  And thanks a lot!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer crashed, boots only to a blank screen, is data recoverable?
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

Quote from: kay_li13
    So I have a Windows XP computer from Toshiba, that is 2 years old.

Quote from: kay_li13
    I looked up some articles that recommended moving the hard drive to another computer, but I don't know how to do that.

So far we know you have a  Toshiba computer running Win.XP and that you do not know how to remove the hard drive.  We don't know whether you have a desktop computer, a laptop or a notebook and  we can't tell you how to remove the hard drive because the process is different for each one.

Please read this and come back with the information.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

kay_li13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
      Hi,

I have a laptop, it's a Satelite, a105.  I'm running windows xp, and the most recent software change I did before the crash happened was I uninstalled a language program.  The computer I plan to put the harddrive on to get the data will either be a macbook (the recent one) or a gateway notebook running windows xp. 

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
      I wouldn't suggest the MacBook...2 different beasts.

You're best bet is to hook it up to a Desktop running Windows XP.
      Installing it in another laptop the chances it will boot are slim to none.

Get one of these : laptop 2.5"HDD to IDE connector

You DO NOT want to attempt to boot to this drive if data recovery is your goal.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kay_li13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
        Okay, I do have another desktop running Windows XP that I could put the hard drive in, but how do I get the hard drive out of my laptop, and plug it into the desktop?  (The reason I want to do this is because I read somewhere that by doing this I could retrieve the files on the hard drive by using explorer to get them.)

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
        See steps 1 thru' 4 here.

Good luck

kay_li13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
          hi,

i just ordered an enclosure for the hard drive.  which i'm going to try first before attempting to plug it straight into another computer. 

thanks, for the tutorial!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »
          Seeing how enclosures are around 20 + Bucks and USB is less reliable for data transfer especially when you may get only one shot at it i can't comprehend why it gets recommended here more often than the 5 dollar item i listed...

Oh well.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »
          Oh well, does it make any difference that the link I posted shows it's a SATA drive?   I hope the enclosure covers ide and sata. ;D

kay_li13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
            the enclosure is sata, but i only ordered it because i'm afraid to take my desktop apart since i don't really know how to install a hard drive, and the case seemed easier...

kay_li13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »
              it worked! thanks for the help! ;D

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »
              Excellent outcome, thanks for coming back to report your success.

Good luck