Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't turn on!  (Read 2308 times)

mopedbob

Computer won't turn on!
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »
First hello everyone.

My problem is this. Just a few days ago I tried to turn on my computer and it seems like it tried to start up but went dead on me. I have taken the side panel off to get a better look at what was going on and here is what I notice. When plug in, there is a power light on the motherboard that is light up. When I press the on button, for a few seconds, the cpu fan, psu fan and case fan come on and then shuts down. Pressing the on button again will do nothing unless I shut the PSU off and turn it back on, press the on button once again and the fans come on for a short second. Nothing else happens, the hdd will not spool up.I have metered the power supply and there is 115 v going to it. Could anyone help me in trouble shooting this problem, thanks.

Specs,
The computer is about 6-7 yrs old.
Intel 3.0ghz
450 w power supply
Windows XP
80 Gb hard drive
1 Gb DDR2 ram

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer won't turn on!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »
I am thinking age here - and possible failure of one or more PSU rails.

I would wish to remove plugs on supply rails from their respective devices and see if all give feeds - looking for 3.3v, 5v, and 12v.  The mobo LED suggests I think 5v present but if something else is missing you possibly won't go beyond fans.

Check this out first - seems you know how to use a meter, which helps.  If PSU is OK then maybe BIOS - wonder if BIOS battery has expired.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!