Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't turn off my computer  (Read 2305 times)

CLScherber

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Can't turn off my computer
    « on: August 23, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »
     ???  I can't seem to get my computer to turn off...  unless I turn off the battery box or unplug it.  I tell it to shut down and it goes through everything (I think) but doesn't complete the process.  It won't even shut off if I try to turn off the CPU.  Any ideas on this one?  Oh, It is an older (5 ir 6 years) Dell that is running Windows XP.  Thanks!

EchoLdrWolf316

Intermediate

• Don't worry, Javascript is just Flash on speeeeed.
      Re: Can't turn off my computer
      « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:12:37 PM »
      Go to Start, Run....  Type "CMD" hit enter, a black window will come up, type "shutdown /s /t 00" and your PC should shutdown immediately.

CLScherber

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:14:16 PM »
        Will this fix the problem?  OR will it work only one time?  (Thank you, by the way)

EchoLdrWolf316

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
           That command forces windows to shutdown. Tell me if it works to shutdown your PC.

Tranc3r

Intermediate
            « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »
            Will this fix the problem?  OR will it work only one time?  (Thank you, by the way)

well shut down your computer manually after using that command and you'll find out...
            Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa!!

CLScherber

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
              Okay, I did this... it did not shut down  >:(  It gave me a bunch of info that made no sense to me.  I would have copied and pasted it, but it wouldn't let me have the option to copy.  Getting frustrated. 

merlin

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 05:31:16 PM »
                Make a cup of tea/coffee......while your pc........shutsdown....89 processes....just leave it.

CLScherber

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
                   :D  Thank you for your help.  Wolf, I went back and tried again... seems I missed a space in there the first time (oops).  It shut down.  I then did a normal shutdown and it worked!!! 

I do have another issue, however.  My computer seems to want to keep trying to install Microsoft Money 2003.  Didn't realize it was going to try to do this again until I rebooted these last couple of times.  I was going to open something in works the other day that required it.  When I realized it wanted to install this, I cancelled the project, but it still wants to install it.  GGGRRRR

EchoLdrWolf316

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »
                    :D  Thank you for your help.  Wolf, I went back and tried again... seems I missed a space in there the first time (oops). 
                    ::)  That was the help section on the "shutdown" command

It shut down.  I then did a normal shutdown and it worked!!!
                      No problemo  :)

I do have another issue, however.  My computer seems to want to keep trying to install Microsoft Money 2003.  Didn't realize it was going to try to do this again until I rebooted these last couple of times.  I was going to open something in works the other day that required it.  When I realized it wanted to install this, I cancelled the project, but it still wants to install it.  GGGRRRR
                    check your startup menu and see if the installer made an entry to keep trying to install.....