Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media card reader  (Read 1837 times)

Soviet_Genius

Media card reader
« on: August 24, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
Posted this in windows and not in hardware cause it's windows's fault...

I have a 4 slot media card reader. All 4 slots show up as 4 separate "removable disks" all the time. It's really annoying because everyone gets confused about which one is the flash drive they just plugged in. Can I change it so that the reader shows up only when there is actually a card in it? Also, it would be nice to remove it from the safely remove hardware thing since that completely shuts it off until you reboot. Also, if possible, I want to get rid of my USB WiFi dongle from the safely remove hardware list since I only safely remove it by accident all the time when I try to unplug my flash drive...

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Media card reader
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
"USB-driveletter-mngr" - available as usbdlm.zip - do a search - wil allow you to turn off visibility on those you don't use or want to see. 

It is useful with a reader left in place to label the reader itself for letter sequence which helps with ID of which slot = which drive letter.

You could also if card reader left in - possibly use TweakUI to stop letters showing.

Wouldn't have thought you'd need a reboot to reinstate reader, if it was ''safely removed'' during a session.  Your safely remove list tho will I think by default show all USB items active, except a hub which would show in Device manager.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!