Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sound scheme in XP  (Read 3211 times)

TC

sound scheme in XP
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
Hi out there!  I'm new to this site and found it very helpful, but have a question that I couldn't find.

I'm also new at computers and  learning as I go.  I recently had to have the replacement of Win2000 to XP system program, but in doing so I have no more sound.  There is no sound device detected.

I was investigating on my own and wound up at the "Sound and Audio Device Properties" and made a change under the Sounds tab.  The Sound scheme was set on a blank space and I changed it to "Windows default" without saving the old setting.  Now under Sound scheme I have two choices instead of three.

Here's my questions:  Is there away to reverse this?  If not, have I made a major error?  What does it all mean anyway?  And if you have any other input about the lost Sound device let me know that as well.  Thank you!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: sound scheme in XP
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »
You will likely need to find the correct driver for your sound card or integrated sound controller. I'd try at the manufacturers web site under support and drivers, then search for  Sound Drivers and chose the one for XP. If the computer is older the mfr may not have a XP driver for it and the easy fix may be to buy a new sound card if a desktop computer and install it vs try to find a generic driver that is XP compatible and supports your sound chipset. If it is a laptop, your options are far less since I am unaware of any sound upgrade or replacements for laptops.