Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem saving an old document  (Read 2993 times)

wildwood

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Problem saving an old document
    « on: August 29, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running on Microsoft Vista home basic, with Microsoft office 2007. Occasionally when I open a document and make some changes I cannot save the document. I must save the document with another name. For example I have a client list with addresses and email addresses. If I open the document, "CLIENT LIST 2008", and make some changes when I hit the save icon it asks for another name of the current document. So I end up having to save it as CLIENT LIST 2008A and then delete the original document CLIENT LIST 2008 and then rename CLIENT LIST 2008A to CLIENT LIST 2008, the original document. It's a pain in the a**. What must I do to just save my documents to the original name.

Peter

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problem saving an old document
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:13:29 PM »
    I don't use 2007 - still make do with old 2000.

Occurs to me tho that maybe somewhere the file is being seen and regarded as read only - and so need for file change because write is not allowed for a save.  I can only think of plowing thru your preferences/options in relevant application to see if there is some setting available to change.

Or even the original file attributes.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problem saving an old document
    « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
    Also, you may need to take ownership of a directory, you're saving those files to.