Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Explorer.exe / BROWSEUI.dll - high cpu usage (slow folders)  (Read 6104 times)

skribb

Topic Starter

Explorer.exe / BROWSEUI.dll - high cpu usage (slow folders)
    « on: August 31, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
    Ever since I came back to the computer and noticing that it had rebooted itself (presumably a STOP error of some kind), Explorer.exe has been utilising 37-50% cpu when browsing through folders (i.e the spikes occur only when activiley browsing). I was using addons (QTTabBar and QTAddressBar) for explorer.exe but have since removed them, although the cpu error persists. Naturally, the CPU spike causes folders to load slowly, they take about 5 seconds to appear, in contrast with the former 0-1 seconds.

For further clarity; right-clicking folders/files and running applications does not produce a CPU spike at all.

Just to prove that explorer is the culprit, I tried other file managers and they loaded folders instantly and with 0-1 % CPU usage.

I did troubleshooting all night and found that there are some strange occurrences when I open any given folder, though the activites differ slightly from folder to folder.

Basically, BROWSEUI.dll!Ordinal138+0x7bdd is the one hogging the cpu. The CSwitch Delta peaks at around 3000 when the cpu spikes occur.

Here's the stack for one of the BROWSEUI.dll!Ordinal138+0x7bdd:
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
    ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1c56
    ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x2538
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLe vel+0xb74
    ntkrnlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x72e
    ntkrnlpa.exe!ExAcquireResourceExclusiveLite+0x67
    ntkrnlpa.exe!ExFreePoolWithTag+0x40d
    ntkrnlpa.exe!ExReleaseResourceLite+0x8d
    ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
    BROWSEUI.dll!Ordinal138+0x7bdd
    kernel32.dll!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1b4

I went into Filemon to record what was being accessed while opening folders and I saw these suspect activities:

31 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\WINDOWS\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    32 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    33 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\WINDOWS\system32\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    34 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\WINDOWS\system\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    35 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\WINDOWS\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    36 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\WINDOWS\system32\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    37 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\WINDOWS\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    38 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    39 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\Program\Windows XP Support Tools\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    40 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\Program\Delade filer\Teleca Shared\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error
    41 17:38:32 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\Program\DISKEE~1\DISKEE~1\??????? NAME INVALID Attributes: Error

The ??????? is sometimes shown as ?.?????? or ? ?????? or ????Đ?? etc, and sometimes it also says NOT FOUND instead of NAME INVALID.

If a folder contains no subfolders, the above is all that happens. However if a folder contains subfolders, the below is also reported, for every subfolder of the current folder (note that this didn't seem to affect the CPU, the spike was pretty much the same in an empty folder, i.e with only the above errors):

3214 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 READ  H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly INVALID DEVICE REQUEST Offset: 0 Length: 24
    3215 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly BUFFER OVERFLOW FileFsVolumeInformation
    3216 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 QUERY INFORMATION H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly BUFFER OVERFLOW FileAllInformation
    3217 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3218 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3219 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3220 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3221 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3222 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3223 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3224 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3225 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3226 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3227 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3228 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3229 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3230 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read
    3231 18:49:15 explorer.exe:500 OPEN H:\Documents and Settings\skribb\Skrivbord\download\Deadstar Assembly\:Docf_SummaryInformation:$DATA NOT FOUND Options: Open  Access: Read

What I have tried so far, without luck:
    1. Kill all processes and services except the crucial ones
    2. Search for references in the registry
    3. Reinstalled IE7 (since browseui.dll is a IE component). The reinstall gave me a newer version of browseui.dll, but that didn't help, apparently.
    4. Searched for spyware and adware. Didn't bother search for virus since I use a resident guard which hasn't reported anything.

What I perhaps should try:
    Unregister browseui.dll , reboot, then reregister browseui.dll
    I'm not sure I should. I'm afraid it'll break explorer.exe, but if you feel like coaxing me into trying this, feel free to do so.

Final notes:
    1. I will not reformat or reinstall XP. With my last computer I didn't reformat for 2-3 years, and I'd like to keep it that way. (just getting this out of the way so we can focus on ironing out the problem )
    2. The disk is defragmented. I am using Diskeeper with auto-defrag.
    3. I can provide full Filemon, Regmon, Procmon or HJT logs if necessary (or any other log program).

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Explorer.exe / BROWSEUI.dll - high cpu usage (slow folders)
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
    I'd try few things:
    1. Download, and install ShellExView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    Open it. Click on Type column to sort all entries.
    Right click, and Disable all non-Microsoft Context Menu types entries.
    Restart computer, and see, if it helps.
    2. Run sfc /scannow
    3. Windows repair: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

skribb

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
      thanks for replying, however I seem to have located the problem myself.

I had recently disabled Spybot from within Spybot itself, without it affecting performance. Now I disabled it from within IE, which seemed to have solved the problem.

I will return if the problem re-arises.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
      Cool :)