Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help!!! three operating systems!!  (Read 3307 times)

juleshaha

help!!! three operating systems!!
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:12:15 AM »
ok im using a windows xp when i got another windows xp cd cause i wanted to reinstall windows but i lost my first one. so i installed the disk and now i have two windows xps on my C: drive. and then i accidentally installed it again but now on my E: drive. so how do i remove the ones on my C: drive and put my xp from the E: drive to C: drive? please help....oh yeah and when i boot i have to choose between three windows xps.i tried to delete the partition in the C: drive using the disk manager but i get a message: windows cannot delete active system partition..blahblah...HELP PLEASE ;D

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: help!!! three operating systems!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:26 AM »
and then i accidentally installed it again

Heh, you accidentally installed Windows?

The reason you have to choose which Windows to use is because your Boot.ini file can see 3 seperate installations of it. Or more to the point, a new OS has been added to the boot.ini file when it's been installed.

Personally, I would think about formatting the hard drive/partitions and doing a clean install. Do you have any crucial files or documents on the system at the moment? if so, back these up if they are not already.

As for the installation on your E: Drive, if this is just a partition used for data/storage, then you can just delete the folders in this partition which is for the OS (Windows, Documents and Settings etc.) and make sure you have your personal files somewhere in this partition not within these directories.
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"