Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Jumpy DVD picture  (Read 3527 times)

pmheideman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Jumpy DVD picture
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
Recently my video codecs went a little haywire and I had to download and reinstall a whole new pack.  I did this with the k-lite mega codec pack, and now all my avis and mpegs are working again.  However, I noticed that now when I try to play dvds on my computer, the picture has this strange quality where any onscreen movement is jumpy, almost like its vibrating.  It's incredibly distracting and actually gives me a headache if i watch it too long.  Im assuming that it's related to the codecs reinstallation, because I previously had no problems with watching dvds.  I'm running a windows xp media center computer with an ATI Radeon x300/x550x/x1050 video card.  any advice would be much appreciated.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
Re: Jumpy DVD picture
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »
No actual answer but - am curious as to how files might play in different players.  I hate Win media Player but do use AlShow, VLC and Media Player Classic - these suit almost all jobs - oh and even Irfanview too sometimes.

Reason I bring this up is - I shoot some vids on a model RC plane and finish up with a big AVI file.  I usually use AlShow by default but was finding the image content either 'sticking' on first frame or playing a bit and then image freeze - with sound continuing.

I thought this was a dud file but then tried it in media Player Classic and with relief it played OK - and so was importable into my vid editing software.

So - this is a roundabout way of wondering how many players you may have tried, in case your default one is giving a problem, when another might be OK.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

pmheideman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
I've tried Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, Interactual, and powerdvd.  I was surprised when Media Player Classic still had the jumpy picture, because it usually works for everything.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »
I was surprised when Media Player Classic still had the jumpy picture, because it usually works for everything.

Surprises me too!

Ahhh but - re read first post - you say DVD's ... so is it specific to DVD playing or do WMV, MPEG, AVI etc get jumpy too.

If DVD specifically I wonder if DVD rom is a problem - delivering data erratically.  Can you elaborate as to what does or doesn't go jerky.

pmheideman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »
It's only dvds that act weird.  AVIs and Mpegs play fine.  It's a really strange problem.  Sound quality is fine, and the video is good quality too for that matter.  It's almost like there's some strange video effect turned on.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:49:42 PM »
Hmmm so - how reliable is the DVD rom unit?  I am coming back to that as a source for intermittent data transfer - or something amiss in the decoding. 

Does the ROM run music CD's OK I wonder.

pmheideman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
Music cds play fine.  There doesn't seem to be any data loss of any kind.  With the dvds its transmitting more than it should.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
I have no more ideas right now but - am thinking just as another possibility - see if Sourceforge.net has any dedicated open source DVD players, such that a comparison can be made. 

If same result then I have to be thinking still along lines of a decoding problem ... and so probably codec oriented.

Maybe someone else has some thoughts.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »
Get CodecInstaller: http://www.jockersoft.com/english/codecinstaller.php, and see what it says about your installed codecs.
I'm also curious, if VLC Player has same problem...