Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intermittent Blue Screen at Bootup  (Read 5600 times)

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Intermittent Blue Screen at Bootup
    « on: September 04, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
    Every once in a while my PC will boot to a blue screen.  CTRL-ALT-DEL shows me what appear to be the normal procedures running so it would appear that the icons are simply not on the screen.  I used to simply shut off the PC and reboot and hope that I got icons this time.  Eventually this will work and the system will boot to my desktop.

It is becoming a pain in the *censored* to have to reboot some times.

I scandisk and defrag regularly.  I have XP SP2 and recently installed SP3.  Same results under both SP.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Intermittent Blue Screen at Bootup
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:14 AM »
    What is BSOD's message?

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:20:47 AM »
      Nothing.  Completely blank.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »
      It's not gonna be easy to investigate the cause, until you won't be able to boot to the desktop at all.
      It can be caused by number of reasons:
      - bad cable (see, if it's plugged in really well, try another cable)
      - failing powers supply (borrow one from a firend)
      - failing video card (see, if same thing happens in Safe Mode)
      - failing hard drive (test hard drive: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287)
      - failing RAM (test RAM: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html)

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »
        I am at work so I will not be able to test anything until tonight.

- I have tried a new network cable with same results.  Some time it boots fine sometimes not.
        - Power supply is relatively new, but I'll see what I can do to test it.
        - I have an older video card somewhere and will try this.
        - Will test tonight.
        - Will test tonight.  I am running 3 x 1GB sticks.  I'll test them and then pull 1 and run with 2 and see if I get different results.  I have the 4th stick and can swap it in if I find a problem with 1 of the installed 3.

Thanks for the ideas.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
        I have tried a new network cable with same results
        I was talking about monitor cable.

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:06 AM »
          I have tried a new network cable with same results
          I was talking about monitor cable.

That makes more sense. :)  Yes, I have tried a new monitor cable.  Same results.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »
          Let's wait, and see what the other tests will reveal.

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
            Sorry for the long delay, was out sick.

Well, HD and Ram check out fine.

The blue screen I am getting may be a bit misleading.  It's not the BSOD but rather simply my desktop is blue.  It appears that I simply don't have any icons or Start box or clock or tray.... etc.

When the PC boots (I have only 1 user, so it goes straight in to my user) to my screen I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and then log off.  I then see a login screen.  I select my user and it logs in properly with icons etc......

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »
            Did you try to boot into Safe Mode?

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
              « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 10:25:02 AM »
              I did not try Safe Mode, but will.  Keep in mind it's not every time I boot to a blank desktop.

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                « Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
                Safe modes seems to bring it up fine.

My work around is when I boot to an iconless screen, I simply CTRL-ALT-DEL and log the user off.  I then get the login screen and I select my user.  Works every time without issues.

I guess I could force Windows to boot to the login screen instead of going straight in to my user.  /sigh

I did find this thread: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=59514.0  It sounds the same.  I'll try the things suggested there.

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 05:13:03 PM »
                Keep us posted.

rwsanderson

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                  « Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »
                  Here is the log file:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                  Scan saved at 8:10:02 AM, on 9/27/2008
                  Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                  MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
                  Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                  C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                  C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
                  c:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\MSCamS32.exe
                  C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
                  C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LCD Manager\lcdmon.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LCD Manager\Applets\LCDClock.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LCD Manager\Applets\LCDPOP3.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Razer\razerhid.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\vVX3000.exe
                  C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
                  C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Razer\razertra.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Razer\razerofa.exe
                  C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Curse\CurseClient.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
                  C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                  R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                  R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                  R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
                  R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
                  R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
                  O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                  O2 - BHO: AVG Safe Search - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
                  O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
                  O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
                  O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
                  O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.1119.1736\swg.dll
                  O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
                  O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LCDMon] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\LCD Manager\lcdmon.exe"
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LGDCore] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe" /SHOWHIDE
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [razer] C:\Program Files\Razer\razerhid.exe
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VX3000] C:\WINDOWS\vVX3000.exe
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
                  O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
                  O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                  O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear
                  O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CurseClient] C:\Program Files\Curse\CurseClient.exe -silent
                  O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
                  O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
                  O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
                  O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                  O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
                  O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
                  O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
                  O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                  O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                  O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                  O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                  O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://utilities.pcpitstop.com/da/PCPitStop.CAB
                  O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
                  O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
                  O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1180579971312
                  O16 - DPF: {82774781-8F4E-11D1-AB1C-0000F8773BF0} (DLC Class) - https://transfers.ds.microsoft.com/FTM/TransferSource/grTransferCtrl.cab
                  O16 - DPF: {C02226EB-A5D7-4B1F-BD7E-635E46C2288D} (Toontown Installer ActiveX Control) - http://a.download.toontown.com/sv1.0.29.11/ttinst.cab
                  O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
                  O16 - DPF: {E8F628B5-259A-4734-97EE-BA914D7BE941} (Driver Agent ActiveX Control) - http://driveragent.com/files/driveragent.cab
                  O16 - DPF: {FFB3A759-98B1-446F-BDA9-909C6EB18CC7} (PCPitstop Exam) - http://utilities.pcpitstop.com/Optimize2/pcpitstop2.dll
                  O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
                  O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
                  O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
                  O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                  O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
                  O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                  O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
                  O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
                  O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                  O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
                  O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
                  O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
                  O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
                  O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
                  O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
                  O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
                  O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
                  O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
                  O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe

--
                  End of file - 9683 bytes

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »
                  The log is clean.