Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost driver and hardware details  (Read 5377 times)

Mad_Harri

Lost driver and hardware details
« on: March 09, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »
Hello,

I decided to format my hard drive. Before doing this I did a little checklist and saved things I thought I needed. I didn't put any device drivers onto disc because I knew I already had them on a disc. So, I can't find the box, the driver CD or any information what so ever about my Video card. My question is simply, 'where do I go from here?' :-/

I can't remember the model or anything about it. Can anyone help?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Lost driver and hardware details
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 01:09:58 PM »
If you can go into safe mode with networking (internet), then try downloading your drivers from the internet... (video card manufacturer's website)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Mad_Harri

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 02:51:14 PM »
Thanks but it was so long ago since I bought it, I can't even remember the manufacturer. Is there any way I can get the manufacturer and model from the card even though it's only being recognised as a 'vga' in windows device manager? I opened up the PC before to see if anything's on the card but I couldn't discern a manufacturer.

gussery

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
The first thing that loads on your PC, before the hard drives even, is the video card.  You should be able to see this information on your monitor almost immediately after pushing the power button.

Mad_Harri

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 03:22:39 PM »
Ah, now that you mention it, I thought I saw something before when I started her up but didn't think anything of it because the drivers weren't installed. Thanks, I'll have a look-see now.

Mad_Harri

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 06:20:11 AM »
Yep, got it now. Nvidia Geforce 4 it was. Thanks for the help.