Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replace expired Windows XP  (Read 4393 times)

igor

Replace expired Windows XP
« on: March 09, 2005, 01:56:26 PM »
Hi, I have an expired (not-activated) windows XP, and would like to replace it with another XP from a CD. The problem is when I boot from the CD, it loads all the drivers then says "starting windows xp" and the gives me the following screen of death:

"unmountable boot volume"

I guess it's trying to start up the expired xp on my hd. I need to install the new one without formatting my hd, so I was thinking of manually removing the windows directory in safe mode from the hd, but I'm afraid this would make the volume completely inaccesible and my data would be lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Igor

gussery

Re: Replace expired Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 02:00:57 PM »
Are you asking us to help you get around paying for the software you use?

igor

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 04:48:39 PM »
No, actually the one I want to install I purchased with an OEM computer, but I've formatted that drive for linux. Are you a microsoft rep or something?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 07:24:11 PM »
    igor.....LOL .....This is a stupid question , but please explain why you didnt activate the XP that no longer works ?    It's not as if you didnt know........you are reminded repeatedly.....AND its not even difficult , just a push of a key and its done ........BUT WAIT ........you are using pirated software ........shame on you .........didn't anyone ever tell you that stealing is against the law. Not to worry , just wipe the drive clean then install the OEM XP which you got with the computer ........and by the way , you will find the product key for that OEM XP glued onto the side of that pc ....... Oh, yes and by the way , I read somewhere the other day the M/S did away with the activation thing ...... Here it is .....
    Changes in Windows XP Product Activation

On February 28, Microsoft® will disable Internet activation for all Microsoft Windows® XP product keys located on the Certificates of Authenticity (COA) labels distributed by large, multinational OEMs.

Direct OEMs of Microsoft (large multinational OEMs that that have a direct signed license agreement with Microsoft) usually preinstall Windows software using System Lock Preinstall (SLP), which is a direct OEM’s method of legitimately bypassing Product Activation on behalf of their customers.

To reduce the illegal trafficking of these OEM product keys Microsoft will “disable” the ability to activate these direct OEM Product Keys over the Internet. When a customer or reseller tries to activate using a Product Key found on the list of “disabled” Keys, the online product activation wizard will instruct them to call Microsoft where a customer service representative can assist them further.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 07:32:44 PM »

igor

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 02:46:54 PM »
    >pcdoc4christ - thanks for your help but the articles you listed don't apply to my situation, my problem is that the windows setup tries to boot the expired volume.

Anyway, I have about 8 different pirated XP-s. Besides, why should I give my money to the richest man in the world and co., who happens to run the biggest monopoly in the world, which routinely stifles innovation and competition through unfair business practices and attempts to monopolize every aspect of the software industry. Not to mention that their products are simply primitive - for example you can't even change the color of the *censored* start menu button which happens to be what you see all the time.

Anyway, where I live I can purchase any program, including the latest games and movies for about $2.50 per CD, 7$ per DVD. So I have quite a collection. This is what freedom is people. It's really not about being a good boy and giving more money to the richest man in the world.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 04:01:36 PM »
    igor:

There are operating systems (OSes) that are legal to download & install for free (& much less expensive to purchase than Windows).  Linux comes to mind.

Why not support the "Operating Systems Should Be Free" movement by using one of the UNIX-based OSes?  Who knows, you may become a Web Server Administrator some day.

:)

Something to think about.

Doc

« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 04:02:22 PM by pcdoc4christ »