Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista - sharing printer network  (Read 2767 times)

cj85

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Windows Vista - sharing printer network
    « on: September 06, 2008, 10:48:12 PM »
    I'm still in the process of learning what I can do, and what I can't do when it comes to Vista Windows and XP Windows. The question I have is, am I able to share a printer between the 2 different windows (computers) without any problem? If so, what are the steps to take in order to successfully get a printer shared between the 2 computers?

The reason I'm asking, is before in the past before I had gotten this computer I had tried to do it and was unsuccessful. But when I finally did get it, I ended up having like 3-4 different shared groups in the network (I hope that makes sense). If anyone knows how to "correctly" do it. I would highly appreciate some steps in how to do this.

Thank you so much!

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      Re: Windows Vista - sharing printer network
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:16:46 AM »
      1) First thing you need to do is to make sure that the 2 computers are on the same workgroup (Vista is called WORKGROUP by default and XP is called MSHOME - you can name them whatever you want to).

Do this by right clicking computer, properties and then computer name.

2) Run the network setup wizard on the XP machine, turn on file and print sharing and restart that.

3) Next on the VISTA pc you need to make sure the network you have created is set to private, so network discovery can be established.

4) Have a look through both computers firewall settings and make sure you allow file and print sharing and that you trust the network.

That should be all the steps you need to set it all up. Just go to START and then NETWORK and the XP machine should appear.

If you want to connect to the printer, you can just navigate on the VISTA machine,to the network connections, find the XP machine and then find then find the printer, right click and click connect. It might ask you to install the drivers and just press accept.

Just in case when you find the printer over the network and try to connect to it you get an error message:

what you need to do is install the printer on the vista machine with a local port (just so vista has got a correct driver, as xp does not hold drivers for vista), then go to printer port properties and create a new local port and use the path to the printer as the name for that port (ie \\192.168.2.3\hpprint) or whatever else the printer is named.
      also use the computer name rather than its ip address as ip address might change 
      A computer is for life....not just gaming!!