Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Questions Re: PCI eSATA card installation  (Read 4731 times)

OnTheChesapeake

Topic Starter

Rookie

Questions Re: PCI eSATA card installation
    « on: September 08, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »

Hoping someone will help…
    I need to establish a backup system for my desktop and expand storage space for creative software installs and digital media work. 

I have a 2003 custom desktop with RAID capability (specs at end).  I had the 30GB WD drive from another desktop that got lightning zapped and dropped it into the new system to preserve some files.  (It’s ancient and I’ll replace it very soon.)  Then I moved & took a business hiatus…fast forward to 2008.   Now, to ramp up for business, I’ve got CS3 Master Suite and several other programs that need installed (26-27GB), as well as (I’m guessing here) 60-80 GB of digital media on my current internal drives that I need backed up before disaster strikes. 

I went back and forth between just upgrading to two bigger/twin hard drives and setting up a RAID system for backup vs. adding external.  I decided to go external and later add another LaCie external ($$ dependent) in an external RAID configuration.  Primarily, my thinking is the external offers me the speed, storage, immediate backup now; and later ease for adding redundant backup as well as making it easy to move to an upgraded motherboard/processor/chipset when I can afford them.  It’s also less complicated for a novice to install & use.  ;D  If you think this was the wrong decision, I welcome advice.
    I’ve got here a LaCie Big Disk Extreme+ 1TB and a LaCie eSATA PCI Card (both still unopened). 

I need some guidance on the installing the PCI card; I’m not experienced in hardware installs, but I'm not a total spaz inside the box.  ;)   …I’m a little limited here, because I run my net adapter off of this desktop, so I have to alternate between being online and opening up the case. 

Several PCI slots are in use.  What’s confusing me is there are 7 “slots” (in the metal back panel of my case) and I don’t know how these correspond to the “5 PCI expansion slots” that the motherboard info says I have.   But, if I’m describing the rear panel of the case, from top to bottom, here’s what I see (I can post pics if it helps):

Top - #1 – Nothing; closed with metal tabs on the left and right side.  I’m thinking this may not actually correspond to a PCI slot?
    #2 – ATI Card & inputs (DVI, etc) in use
    #3 – Game Port (15-pin) female – Not in use and could do without.  Is this connected to the ATI card?   
    #4 – LAN/Modem port – in use (Though there is also one at the top on the motherboard, when I try to use it instead, the modem isn’t recognized.)
    #5 – SB Audigy Card & inputs – in use
    #6 – Telephone ports – not currently in use, but will need for fax
    #7 – Firewire ports – not currently in use

I also just found this:From the Intel Board Specification Update (2004, latest):
    3. Clarification of SMBus Routing
    Section 2.8.2.1 will change in its entirety as follows:
    Intel Desktop Board D875PBZ Specification Update 14
    2.8.2.1 Expansion Slots
    The Desktop Board D875PBZ has the following expansion slots:
    -  AGP connector: The AGP connector is keyed for Universal 0.8 V AGP 3.0
       cards or 1.5 V AGP 2.0 cards only. Do not install a legacy 3.3 V AGP card.
       The AGP connector is not mechanically compatible with legacy 3.3 V AGPcards.
    Five PCI rev 2.2 compliant local bus slots:  [ My note… I just noted that the eSata card says PCI 2.3 compliant interface.  Will this card even work in my system? ]

The SMBus is routed to PCI bus connector 2 only (ATX expansion slot 6). PCI add-in cards with SMBus support can access sensor data and other information residing on the Desktop Board D875PBZ.
    ✏ NOTE
    The SMBus routing to the PCI bus connectors does not conform to the PCI
    Engineering Change Notice (ECN) “Addition of the SMBus to the PCI Connector
    ECN”, dated October 5th, 2000.

The ECN specifies that SMBus signals must be routed to all PCI bus connectors.
    On this board, SMBus signals are routed to PCI bus connector 2 only. 
    Add-in cards that implement PCI bus connector pins A40 and A41 for any
    purpose other than SMBCLK (SMBus clock) and SMBDAT (SMBus data) should
    not be installed in PCI bus connector 2.
    For information about Refer to Addition of the SMBus to the PCI Connector ECN http://www.pcisig.com/data/specifications/smb_ecn_040501.pdf
    ✏ NOTE
    This document references back-panel slot numbering with respect to processor
    location on the Desktop Board D875PBZ. The AGP slot is not numbered. PCI
    slots are identified as PCI slot #x, starting with the slot closest to the processor.
    Figure 19 on page 66 illustrates the Desktop Board D875PBZ’s PCI slot
    numbering.

Assuming I can use this card and I have an open slot(s), the inter-connect between the AGP card and the Sound card has to be navigated.  Does it matter where I install PCI add-ins? 
    Are there any tricks or tips I need to know for the actual install, or does it just snap into one of the PCI slots? 

I do have the option of using the USB 2 connection for the external drive and returning the card.  I only went with it because it’s faster than USB and I will be getting into video work (later) and will need the faster transfer rates.  The other option is I can return the external and buy the model that has Firewire connection, but that model does not offer eSATA for the future. 

I’d appreciate any help or advice you can provide – Thank You!

System Specs:

Operating System   
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)   
    Processor
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache   
    Drives
    150.76 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    36.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D [CD-ROM drive]
    SONY DVD-ROM DDU1621 [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

EPSON Stylus Storage USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
    IC USB Storage-CFC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
    IC USB Storage-MMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
    IC USB Storage-MSC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
    IC USB Storage-SMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
    ST3120026AS [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 1 -- 20.74 GB free
    WDC WD307AA-00BAA0 [Hard drive] (30.76 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA2F1072682, rev 10.09K11, SMART Status: Healthy -- 15.50 GB free
    **** Do I understand correctly that this is currently a parallel ATA setup?  I know the board supports a RAID configuration.   

Main Circuit Board http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d875pbz/sb/c3176501.pdf

Board: Intel Corporation D875PBZ AAC26680-205
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. BZ87510A.86A.0026.P05.0304231448 04/23/2003
    Memory Modules
    1 GB DDR SDRAM DIMMs installed (pair of Corsair 512s - PC3200, 400MHz, 184-pin)
        ****I have here a 2GB kit of Corsair VS1BG400C3s to add the above
    Controllers
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers (2x)
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Bus Adapters
    ATI Remote Wonder Controller
    Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
    Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
    Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
    Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
    Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
    Communications
    Intel(R) 536EP Modem***
    1394 Net Adapter
    1394 Net Adapter #2
    Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    USB Device
        ***Question -- Would this be the Ethernet port from the MB just under the   PS/2 connections?  And, does that mean there is an internal modem on-board?   
    Display
    ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES [Display adapter]
    ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
    Default Monitor
    Multimedia
    ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver
    Creative Game Port
    Creative SB Audigy
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Other Devices
    OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    EPSON Stylus Photo RX620
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    USB 2.0 Root Hub
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device (2x)
    USB Printing Support
    USB Root Hub (4x)

Norton AntiVirus Version 15.50
        Virus Definitions Version 9/7/2008 Rev 21
        Last Disk Scan on Monday, September 07, 2008 10:58:08 AM
        Realtime File Scanning On

All required security hotfixes (using the 08/12/2008 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed.    

RayDude

Beginner

Re: Questions Re: PCI eSATA card installation
      « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »
      Just lost my post in a computerhope.com server issue... Bummer.

This is something like your card, right?
      http://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10205

Make sure the card is not PCI express because that wouldn't work with your motherboard.

Options as far as I see it:

1. Remove the game port and put the PCI card in that slot.
      or
      2. Move the firewire cable to slot #1 (if it will reach) and put the ESATA card in slot #7.
      or
      3. Figure out why you have two slots taken up with modems and move the one that doesn't have a card to slot #1 and use its slot for the ESTATA card. Your lan is located above the slots near a bunch of USB connectors so those slots shouldn't be Ethernet...

I worry about Option 1 because the ATI card gets hot and exposing the ESATA card to heat might cause problems in the long run (although it shouldn't).

Option 2 is best because it doesn't take any features away from your computer, just adds the new one.

Option 3 is there because I can't see what kind of modem could be taking up two slots.

Raydude

OnTheChesapeake

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »
        Raydude,

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help.
        You had the correct eSATA PCI card and it was NOT PCI Express.

When I opened the case, it became blatently obvious that the "#1 slot" I referred to above was actually deadspace on the inside.  The AGP Processor w/ ATI card was next, follwed by PCI slots 1 through 5.

I did remove the game port from from PCI 1 and installed the eSATA PCI card there.  I was going to move the Firewire card there, but it's a long rectangle and since the eSATA card is more like a square with the top right angle cut off, I felt it would offer more air circulation to the ATI card fan.

I have 3 extra fans in my case, so I think it will be okay.

The drivers seem to be working great, too.

The RAM modules aren't being recognized automatically -- when I installed them, they seemed to seat firmly down into the slots.  However, the end clips are just shy of the notches at the end of the modules.  I honestly don't think I could have pushed harder without damaging them.  What do I need to change in the bios to get the system to recognize them?

They are a pair of Corsair VS1BG400C3 = 2 GB added.

Thanks a bunch...If I can get this memory confgured I can install my long-awaited CS3 Master Suite! ;D

RayDude

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:26:12 AM »
          You need to make sure you have the key lined up correctly. There is only one way the DDR sticks will go in. Its really important to make sure they are in right before you power it up.

Unplug the system and wait for the mobo light to go off. Then pull out the sticks and notice that there's a notch off center in the edge connector.

Then notice the key in the dimm socket that matches. Make sure they line up and then press firmly, evenly and straight down until you hear a click. If one side goes in first, apply more pressure to the other side until it clicks. If you can't get both sides to click then you have it backwards.

Once it clicks the little locks on the sides should be almost completely vertical (or totally vertical) if they are not vertical then press them toward each other and make sure they click into the notch in the dimm memory.

If they can't click then the memory is not in all the way.

If you turn on the system and the post screen indicates less than 2GB of memory installed (and that two sockets are filled) then the memory will probably not work in your motherboard. The safest thing to do is use a configurater like the one at crucial.com or any of the other manufacturers to make sure you get memory that will work with your motherboard.

intel boards are really good at supporting future standards so I suspect you should be okay.

Let me know how it goes.

OnTheChesapeake

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:34:15 AM »
            Thanks for the quick response!

I did have the off-center notch lined up correctly.  But there definitely was not a clicking sound.  Guess I didn't push hard enough.  I'll troubleshoot in the AM.

These modules were the only modules recommended by Corsair for my motherboard, so it's probably user error.

Thanks...I'll let you know how it goes.

OnTheChesapeake

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:28:27 AM »
              Hi Raydude,

I pushed down very firmly on the modules and the pins came up, but they still didn't "click".  They're not in the notches firmly. 

I've only been in the BIOS once before.  Can you provide any guidance?
              Corsair's site lists the latency for this kit as 3-3-3-8-2T and also cites "cas for C3 modules: 3-4-3-9.   Which do I use?  Is there anything else I need to do in the bios?

I posted my question on Corsair's online help forum, but haven't had an answer yet.

RayDude

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »
                Hi Raydude,

I pushed down very firmly on the modules and the pins came up, but they still didn't "click".  They're not in the notches firmly. 

I've only been in the BIOS once before.  Can you provide any guidance?
                Corsair's site lists the latency for this kit as 3-3-3-8-2T and also cites "cas for C3 modules: 3-4-3-9.   Which do I use?  Is there anything else I need to do in the bios?

I posted my question on Corsair's online help forum, but haven't had an answer yet.

Putting in memory isn't easy... It takes a bit of flair and it has to be done carefully because its easy to break the sockets by bending them sideways.

If you are sure the key in the socket is lining up with the notch in the memory edge connector and are pushing down firmly then if the memory slides in (even without a click) it should be correct.

However, the little tabs should flip up and lock in place.

Are you adding this ram to the existing ram? That should work, but you may want to consider trying this ram by itself in the same sockets that the old ram is in. If there is a considerable size difference the BIOS might have problems configuring the ram correctly.

Don't worry about the BIOS configuration. The bios should configure itself fine for the new ram. You should consider updating the bios though, its possible that there is a new bios that supports your memory and the current one doesn't. Updating the bios is ... tricky. You have to make sure you don't lose power while the flash is updated. If you don't do it right the system can be left un-bootable.

To find out how much memory the bios sees you shouldn't need to enter bios setup. You should be able to look at the post screen and it should print out how much memory is detected. If you go into bios setup the basic setup screen or information screen should say how much ram you have.

Are you adding this RAM or replacing the existing RAM?

Raydude

OnTheChesapeake

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »
                  Thanks.

RayDude - I was adding to the existing RAM, so I'll try replacing it instead.  If all goes well I can order more of the same and boost to 4GBs.

The only reason I asked about the bios was I thought I might have to go in and set the timings myself, since it wasn't autodetected. 

As far as updating the bios, I'll leave that until after I get operational; hopefully that won't be required to do the trick.

Thanks!  I'll let you know if it works. :)

OnTheChesapeake

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »
                    Hi RayDude,

Upate...I pulled the old RAM and installed the new 1GB x2 and it autodetected just fine.
                    I successfully installed my CS3 software suite and all was well.  Thanks for all of your help.  ;D

Yesterday, I installed the drivers for a Kensington micro USB-Bluetooth adapter.
                    System ran fine yesterday.
                    Today, when I booted, it froze on the Win XP black loading screen.
                    On reboot, I get an error during POST, "PCI IRQ Routing Table Error 00:03:00"   :(
                    Full 2 GB RAM loads fine
                    Then I get a flash of a white Win ME screen before it circles back to boot.  (System has ALWAYS had Win XP Pro!)
                    Same in safe mode and at the top of the screen it says, Windows Millenium Startup Screen

Is this most likely a harware conflict?
                    Or should I boot from the Win XP disk and try a repair?

RayDude

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
                      Sorry for the delay. I haven't been able to get to my email...

Windows ME has never been installed? That is the strangest thing I've heard about.

I recommend you check your BIOS version (usually shown on the post screen) and then go to intel's web page and see if you have the latest. If you don't get it. Its possible the extra ram is making the BIOS assign IRQ's badly.

You could also try removing boards until it works to see which board(s) are conflicting. Then you could try assigning the irqs by hand in the bios (if it lets you). However, that's not easy.

Sorry can't be more descriptive, my son is fussletating and I gotta go take care of him.