Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Bios Reload Question  (Read 3375 times)

bratfry

Computer Bios Reload Question
« on: March 10, 2005, 10:18:57 AM »
Question 1
Is it possible for a compute bios to become corrupted but still provide support for most functions?  (example Such as everything except a floppy disk or a keyboard.)

I would guess the bios either works or not but I have fixed keyboard problems by loading in a new bios so I am not entirely sure. ???

Question 2
How do you save the original bios from a motherboard that does not have any updated bios available?  When I have updated bios chips, the program has provided me a way to save the existing to a file but I'm a bit fearful of just trying any program to suck out the exisiting bios.

The computer in question is a Presario 1800XL190 laptop.  No bios updates availble for this model.  The computer had a serious heat issue that I think I finally got fixed but its acting a bit strange now.  It does boot.  H/P (compaq) does not have or will not supply me the original bios for reload purposes.

Computer_Commando

Re: Computer Bios Reload Question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 10:55:59 AM »
Question 1
Is it possible for a compute bios to become corrupted but still provide support for most functions?  (example Such as everything except a floppy disk or a keyboard.)

I would guess the bios either works or not but I have fixed keyboard problems by loading in a new bios so I am not entirely sure. ???

Question 2
How do you save the original bios from a motherboard that does not have any updated bios available?  When I have updated bios chips, the program has provided me a way to save the existing to a file but I'm a bit fearful of just trying any program to suck out the exisiting bios.

The computer in question is a Presario 1800XL190 laptop.  No bios updates availble for this model.  The computer had a serious heat issue that I think I finally got fixed but its acting a bit strange now.  It does boot.  H/P (compaq) does not have or will not supply me the original bios for reload purposes.

1.  Yes.  Boot to DOS floppy disk to test.
http://www.bootdisk.com

2.  There are some 3rd party programs to do this.

bratfry

Re: Computer Bios Reload Question
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:10:26 AM »
Question 1 - Ok I boot to a dos prompt from a floppy drive and then how to I test the bios... Is the boot the test?

Question 2 -  I did find some programs that say they will backup the bios and will test them out this weekend.  If I find any that really work, I will report with a post.

Thanks