Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB devices not recognized  (Read 2964 times)

psycoscythe

Topic Starter

Starter

USB devices not recognized
    « on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:07 AM »
    A while back my computer was struck by lightning. After that I have trouble with my USB ports. I had to return to using PS 2 serial ports for my devices. Now I can get a USB MP3 player to work but nothing else. None of the USB ports work and only a few receive power. I have tried installing new drivers and chip sets as well. I have tried uninstalling all drivers and reinstalling, Rebooting, and reinstalling drivers. I have even tried a new PCI usb hub card and those ports do not work. Its getting kind of rediculous. I have spent long hours researching and trying to fix this problem. The puter is not old and is in very good condition with high proccessing speeds. I am humble enough to learn so please grace me with your knowledge...
     :o
    psycoscythe

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: USB devices not recognized
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:06:23 AM »
    Go to Device Manager.

Are there any Yellow Question/Exclamation Marks?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:19:36 AM »
    PCI usb hub card ? Have you tried another PCI slot ? May be an IRQ conflict.

Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

nehemaih

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:13:06 AM »
      sir i think there a problem with your psu... restart your computer go to bios check your hardware monitor or something that you can check your voltage... check the 5v if its stable or plactuating if below 5v try to replace your psu...

psycoscythe

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
        There are not any exclamations or yellow markers, it just says unknown device. I tried looking in the bios and checked the voltage, could not change though. I also tried disabling the usb from bios and reinstalling drivers but nothing.

xavier

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »
        You hav a few options, #1 test by replacing the power supply #2 replace board, {before doing that} add a PCI/usb card Appx $20.00 if that solves your pblm i wouldnt go any further.

xavier

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:06:29 PM »
        One other thing, you could purchace a USB Hub with power adapter 4 port or more

psycoscythe

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
          How does a USB HUB connect to the tower? I don't know if my slots work cause I have tried the PCI card already...
           ;D

xavier

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
          The usb 4 port connects to the power ,It looks like a router,{google} to get a better idea

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:08:20 PM »
            psycoscythe, " I can get a USB MP3 player to work-----" How? truenorth

killerb255

Adviser
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »
              Honestly, since you have non-working USB ports because of lightning, forget all the workarounds bypassing the problem (USB hub, PCI USB card, etc.).  You need a new motherboard and/or power supply.  Plain and simple.  Working around the problem may be okay for now, but what if ALL your USB ports suddenly die from the existing damage?  How about other motherboard components?
              Quote from: talontromper
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.