Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Program data managment  (Read 2172 times)

RichyRich

Topic Starter

Program data managment
    « on: September 13, 2008, 05:03:49 AM »
    Hi folks. 
    What is the simplest and fastest way to require programs to store and manage data on another disk?  My main HD (the one I boot from with XP) is only a 15k RPM 17GB Baracuda SCSI as my primary HD (because it's fast) and I have a 300GB SATA (for storage) Can I have all programs store and manage data from the larger HD?  IF so, how?  I already have a couple of programs that do it but that was accomplished at set-up.  Thanks!
    RR

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Program data managment
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:19:40 AM »
    You mean install programs on the other drive?

You can do this by changing the file location when you are installing the program.

RichyRich

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 05:36:31 AM »
      Actually, I meant to have all programs (there are quite a few and would be very time consuming) on the smaller SCSI to store / retrieve and manage their data directly from the larger drive.  That way the smaller disk will not bog down as it's doing now due to lack of disk space.  I want to use the SCSI only as the Operating System disk and have the programs installed there (they all are already) but have them save and manage all their data on the larger drive.  That way it keeps the smaller drive lean and fast.  Is there a way to do this in "bulk" or do I have to enter each programs setup utility to accomplish this?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 05:45:37 AM »
      I think you will have to uninstall the programs, and then reinstall them.
      As for freeing up some space, perhaps this might help:

Download and Install
      CCleaner.

When it is installed, run it and make sure the following checkboxes are checked.
      Internet Explorer --> Temporary Files
      Internet Explorer --> Cookies (optional)
      Mozilla Firefox --> Internet Cache
      Mozilla Firefox --> Cookies (optional)
      System --> Temporary Files
      System --> Empty Recycling Bin (optional but recommended if low on disk space)
      You can check whatever else you want but you should know that whatever you check will be unrecoverable.
      When you are done, Run the Cleaner.