Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer screen has turned white  (Read 3433 times)

ASaint

Topic Starter

Computer screen has turned white
    « on: September 18, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »
    I'm very new here so I'll do my best to provide the info needed to answer this question.

The setup:  Sony computer (sorry, not much more detail because the computer is at my office), I loaded a free trial game called Wedding Dash 2 from Big Fish Games.  I have been a member at BFG for over a year with no previous incidents.  When I started the game, a box popped up telling me to adjust my screen resolution.  The current setting was 1024x7??.  I changed it to ???x1024 as requested.  When I pressed apply, the option to continue with or without a restart came up.  I chose to continue without restart.  I played the game and approx. an hour later the game screen turned black then immediately turned white.

I have tried everything I can think of to clear this problem.  I finally disconnected all power, telephone and DSL lines.  That is how I left it. 

My boss is out of town until Monday so I need to get this fixed before she come back.  We are a very small company with no IT department.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer screen has turned white
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
    Re-boot the machine...
    Even if you get a white screen try right clicking any area and select Properties...
    Then select Settings and choose 1024X768 and hit apply.
    Re-boot for changes to take effect...

If this does not work you have to do it from safe mode...
    To enter safe mode turn on the machine and tap F8 repeatedly on power up and before you see the Windows splash screen...
    You will see a black and white screen filled with items loading...this is normal so let it finish.
    At the prompt screen select safe mode and hit enter.
    Then repeat the above procedure.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ASaint

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:31:29 AM »
      Thanks for the suggestions.

I came into the office this morning and tried the F8 thing first.  Nothing happened.  Then I tried the right-click thing, again, nothing.

So, I switched monitors with another one (same model) from another desk.  It works fine.  I hooked my monitor up to the other desk and it is a white screen.

I assume that means the monitor went bad? 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 03:39:34 PM »
      Yep.

By the way...Welcome to Computer Hope !

At least this way now you won't get yelled at for installing games... ;D    ;D
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "