Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer cycles during startup, but no boot-up  (Read 5961 times)

Rumrumm

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Computer cycles during startup, but no boot-up
    « on: September 19, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »
    I have a desktop PC that WAS running Windows XP.  For no apparent reason, now, on power-up, it is stuck in some sort of loop...  Initially comes up with the blue screen "We apologize for the inconvenience..." but the 30 second countdown finishes, goes to a black screen showing it's "loading"... then goes back to the "Inconvenience" screen, and continues looping.  Prior to the "Inconvenience" screen, I am able to hit "F1" and it brings up the Phoenix Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility", but I have no idea what if anything to change. 
      My questions: (1) How can I make a backup CD of files I do not wish to lose, and (B) how can I enable Windows XP to operate?  I assume I'll need to use the "System Restore" disk to reset everything, but is there any way to recover specific files prior to that step?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer cycles during startup, but no boot-up
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:29:20 PM »
    Can you get onthe computer via Safe Mode?

Do you happen to have another computer handy?

What kind of computer is this? (desktop or laptop)

Also, do you have the Windows CD?

Rumrumm

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »
      The problem unit is a desktop, and the only possible CD's I have are Disks 1 & 2 that say "Quick Restore" (Version 1, 1999), and they came with a different desktop PC (but same brand), which I am on now, in the next room from the looping unit.  And I have tried every screen I can jump to during this "cycling", including F8 (Advanced Options Menu), and also can bring up the Recovery Console, but no matter which option I enable on any screen, it returns to the same cycling loop... 

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:23:51 AM »
      You can back up the files on the broken computer if you remove the Hard Drive and hook it up on the other computer as a Slave Drive. Then you can access the hard drive in My Computer and copy everything off.

Do you have the Windows XP CD? (can you borrow one)
      I don't think those Quick Restore Discs will do anything.

Rumrumm

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
        No, I do not have the Windows XP disks.  XP came pre-installed.  I do have a new hard drive, so swapping those out will allow me to be ready to resinstall the OS when I locate a source. 
          Thanks for all your help on this, CD!!!!!!!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »
        The Restore partition contains everything you need to take the machine back to Day One status...i would suggest contacting the manuf. for instructions on how to create the Recovery CD.
        Then i would install it on the new drive since if you do it on thew old drive all your data and programs will be gone...
        Then hook up the old drive as a slave after everything is running properly and rescue your data...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "