Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to order correct video card  (Read 1969 times)

badgerone5

Topic Starter

Rookie

How to order correct video card
    « on: September 20, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »
    Last week I got a great response when I posted a topic of my monitor not working, and it appears that I have a bad onboard video "card."  So, I ordered a new graphics card from NewEgg:

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail      Item #: N82E16814130085

Someone I work with warned me that the card might not fit, and now, just looking at the picture on the box and comparing it to the expansion slots in the computer, I think he's right. 

The computer has 3 expansion slots (about 3 1/4" total) that are off-white in color, starting with a long opening (2 1/2") located closest to the outside of the case, followed immediately by about a 1/2" opening; I know this is where the video card pins should go.  (There is also a dark brown slot that is not immediately next to the outside expansion openings.) 

While I haven't opened the box, the picture shows the outside slot, followed by a short row of pins, then the longer row of pins.  This is just the opposite of my opening.   

So, I am assuming that I need to return the video card and get a different one.  However, I am not sure how to make sure that the video card is going to fit properly. 

Any help would be appreciated...again!

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How to order correct video card
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 10:31:21 PM »
    so what is your computer motherboard or model?