Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade Power Supply  (Read 2454 times)

posse14

Topic Starter

Rookie

Upgrade Power Supply
    « on: September 23, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »
     I want to put in an upgrade video card, however my power supply is only 250 watts, I would like to replace it with a 500 watt?  I am expecting my Acer M410 in a few days. Can someone suggest a good upgrade? and.. is there any or many conflicts in upgrading?  Thank you..this forum is awesome.

Posse 14

homer

Expert
      Re: Upgrade Power Supply
      « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »
      hey posse14, im going to need some clarification...

the way you wrote your post makes it seem as though you have two computers. which computer has the 250 watt power supply? i highly doubt the acer has a 250W PSU if this is it.

if your buying your comp new, wont you void your warranty by upgrading it?

posse14

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:08:22 PM »
        Homer;

One computer with a 250 watt power supply, I want to upgrade to a higher wattage to facilitate a new video card as I do video production. Otherwise, I would like to find a video card that works with a 250 watt system?  Thanks

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
          where does the acer m140 come into play?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:20:51 AM »
          You may not need to upgrade your power supply just because you are installing a new video card.  Does the card you wish to install specify power requirements?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

posse14

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:11:03 AM »
            I want to purchase an upgraded video card to install in my new Acer M410.  I am not taking a power supply or video card from anyother computer.  To explain:  I do video editing, I want to upgrade tien integrated Ati Radeon x1200 IGP graphics unit. But , most video cards require more than 250 watts of power supply? I would like to find a card tht would work with my current power supply? Can you suggest a card?  If not I am asking if I should upgrade the power supply to one of say..350 watts?  Hope this is clearer?  Im not much at explaining the insides of a computer.

Posse 14