Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop screen shuts off...help  (Read 3824 times)

bazam9s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Laptop screen shuts off...help
    « on: September 28, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
    Hi everyone..new to the forum..I have a Dell Lattitude D600 running XP. Once the computer is booted up and I'm working for 5 min. The screen goes dark. The programs or whater I was doing continues to run but the screen is out. I press the "FN" key and "suspend" at the same time and the computer hibernates. I then hit the power button once and the screen comes back. Does this every few min...very fustrating...can't figure what it is. Checked display settings nothing seems unusual...please help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Laptop screen shuts off...help
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 03:17:40 PM »
    Check your Power Options settings in Control Panel...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bazam9s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »
      Already did that, setting seemed fine....any other ideas???

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:44:09 AM »
      Try disabling Hibernation when you right click My Computer and go to Properties.

bazam9s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
        The computer doesn't hibernate...all lights are on..programs running..but screen goes dark. I make it hibernate by suspending and then power on and it comes back on..but only now for a few seconds then goes dark again. I had reminder to update virus protection...so in between of this off/on trick with the suspend button, I updated the virus protection..and it seemed to work fine for about an hour and now it is doing the same thing. Sometimes I can see whats on the screen very very lightly when the monitor blacks out?...can it be the video card?

Saviour

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
        The problem you are having is with the lcd inverter.  It needs to be replaced.

Here's where you can buy it:  http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html/details.asp?ref=831&category=inverter
        « Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 11:54:06 AM by Saviour »

bazam9s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »
          Hey Saviour...Thanks for your reply...is this part easy to install? Have you dealt with this vendor? reputable?

bazam9s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »
            Saviour...also,  if it was this inverter..wouldn't it be dark all the time? and not intermittent?

Saviour

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »
            It could be caused by a loose connection and/or the inverter failing...

Normally, when the inverter fails, or starts to fail...you'll experience what you have described...the screen goes dark, but the image is still there.

To me...this doesn't describe or fit into a video chip problem.  At such a low cost...I would try the inverter replacement.  I highly doubt it's anything else.  However...I could be wrong...I'm only human.

If worse comes to worse...you're only out $50 as opposed to a new video card...or worse yet...a new display.

How comfortable are you with fixing laptops?

Dell has a Service Manual on-line for your machine:  D600 Service Manual

bazam9s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
              Your right, I saw one on ebay for 22 bucks new shipped..I can give it a shot...I'm pretty good with my hands (Harley's) but I'll take my time...thx Saviour

Saviour

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »
              You're welcome, my friend.

Please keep us posted as to how the replacement/repair goes...we'd love to hear it.

All my best!

Steve

bazam9s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 02:58:16 PM »
                Hey Steve,
                I installed the inverter and it seems to work fine. It did this before however (work fine) then it acted up again. But so far so good. Thx for the advice and if it acts up by going dark again I'll be posting!!!

Thx again

Saviour

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »
                Hopefully, it won't cause you any more pain.  Keep in mind, though...if this continues...it could, in fact, be the LCD itself.  That, my friend is a lot more expensive than the inverter.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.