Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failed attempt @ memory upgrade  (Read 3230 times)

Shyness76

Failed attempt @ memory upgrade
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:53:34 AM »
When I tried to install the memory I bought (Samsung 256MB [2x 128MB] PC800 RDRAM RIMM 184 Pin Kit) it didn't recognize it.  Instead I got a series of beeps & my monitor goes into standby mode.  I checked my old memory cards against the new ones to make sure I bought the right type.  They match perfectly as far as I can tell.  Then I reinstalled my old memory to see if I could get my monitor to work & now it won't recognize that either. :o   Just the same series of beeps & monitor on standby.  I checked & rechecked all connections.  Everything is secure.  
What could be wrong? ???
My computer is a 5 year old Gateway Pentium 4, running OS Windows ME.  Upgrading from 128mb to 512mb.  
Let me know if you need more info.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Failed attempt @ memory upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 01:13:30 PM »
    Friend, first of all make sure that RAM slots are dust free. Secondly when you have different size RAM sticks then they need to be connnected in sequence. I didn't remember correct one but I think it is first small size and then large size.
    But first try each RAM slot with your old RAM stick and if your PC starts working then fine and connect the second RAM in the very next slot. That's all...
    Dr Wahab
    do take care of you and others

Shyness76

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 06:03:01 AM »
    Thanks for your help Dr Wahab.
    Last night I made sure all of the slots were clean & it still doesn't work.  Also all of the memory sticks are the same size (4 sticks @ 128mb each).

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 09:17:29 AM »
    I'm willing to wager, you bought the wrong type of memory.  Now you must perform a CMOS reset, by opening the computer and moving the CMOS reset jumper to clear the CMOS.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm