Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphic card and internet doesn't work - Driver or hardware defect?  (Read 4549 times)

krellef

Topic Starter

A couple of days ago, i helped a friend localize a computer problem, which unfortunately resulted in, that my own computer doesn't work now.
    We were testing whether it was her Graphics card or the monitor that was defect, and we did this by disconnecting my own monitor and then connecting hers. This was done while the power was turned on.
    When we connected my monitor again, (Samsung Syncmaster 206BW), it switched between digital and analog mode a couple of times, and then went to sleep mode. The monitor is normally connected to a Geforce 8800GT, so i wondered why the monitor did not work this time. 
    I Put the monitor cable in the motherboard (Asus M2A-VM) onboard graphics plug, and restarted the PC.
      Then i checked the BIOS, where it said that the main display adapter was the PCI-E16X port, although the monitor was plugged into the motherboard.
    I then saved the settings and logged on the PC to see if it was a missing graphics driver

I went online to check for other drivers a couple of times, and all of a sudden my internet didn't work.
    I have had the same problems with the graphics card the first time i installed it, but i quickly fixed it. I have tried to fix the way way i did last time, but i doesn't work. I do not know what to do now. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Graphic card and internet doesn't work - Driver or hardware defect?
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
    and we did this by disconnecting my own monitor and then connecting hers. This was done while the power was turned on.

You may very well have fried that monitor and or vid card...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

krellef

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
      i'm using the monitot right now, connected to a laptop.
      The graphics cards cooler starts when i turn the pc on, so i do not think that any of the hardware has been fried.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 06:06:40 PM »
      You may very well have fried that monitor and or vid card

The graphics cards cooler starts
      It doesn't mean much.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »
        I've never heard of any cases where unplugging a monitor while powered on actually fries a video card or monitor.  Otherwise, every KVM switch in the world would be frying monitors and video cards everywhere...

Now if he accidentally yanked the video card out of the PCI-e slot while it was powered on, then there might be a problem...

In this case, we're dealing with two separate problems: Internet and the video card.

First things first:

1) Turn off your computer!
        2) Pull the power cord from the back of the power supply (just to be on the safe side)
        3) Remove the video card and reseat it in the PCI-e slot.
        4) Plug power cord back in
        5) Turn computer back on (with monitor plugged into onboard video)
        6) Use a friend's computer to download the drivers and save it to a flash drive.
        7) Install drivers from flash drive.  When asked to restart, say No.
        8) Start -> Shut Down -> Shut Down in XP or Start Orb -> right arrow -> Shut Down in Vista. (not because of zapping hazard, but so the BIOS doesn't get corn-fused)
        9) Plug monitor into video card.
        10) Turn on computer.  If you have picture, then you're done.  If not, then keep going:
        11) Turn off computer.  Plug monitor back into motherboard.
        12) Turn on computer.
        13) Right-click on Desktop, left-click Properties (XP) or Personalize (Vista)
        14) Go to the Settings tab (XP) or go to Display Settings (Vista).
        15) You should now see numbers representing monitors.  You may see three of them (one for onboard, two for card).  Click on #2 and make that your main monitor.
        16) Click Apply.
        17) Unplug monitor from onboard and plug into card (this won't hurt anything unless you accidentally yank the card out of the slot).
        18) Go into Device Manager and disable the onboard adapter.
        19) Restart your computer.
        20) ??????
        21) Hopefully Profit!
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
        I've never heard of any cases where unplugging a monitor while powered on actually fries a video card or monitor.  Otherwise, every KVM switch in the world would be frying monitors and video cards everywhere...

This also took place with power on and is what i was referring to...

and then connecting hers.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "