Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sound quit working  (Read 5215 times)

trish35

sound quit working
« on: March 17, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »
My sound quit working. I dont know what happened, it was working fine.
In sounds and multimedia properties, under audio tab..
all is grayed out, so i cant click on anything...it says "no playback" and "no recording device".
Under voice tab..all is grayed out except advanced buttons.
Please help!  Thanks, Trish

magician

Re: sound quit working
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 12:19:36 PM »
Did this 'just happen', or did it happen when playing a mp3 or video file or etc?

neo_wraith

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 12:24:33 PM »
what kind of sound board is it...Is it one that came on the motherboard..or is it a sound blaster(something like it)?  It sounds like you either corrupted your drivers and need to reinstall your drivers...or your sound card just died.  It could also be that it is no longer getting power...open your case and make sure the power connector is firmly and correctly on your sound board...if still no power; probably time to get a new power supply.  People always say how great motherboard sound is now a days, but I would go and by a really nice soundblaster card for replacement...If you are using a soundblaster make sure your drivers are up to date..and if it was a patch that was updated and then your computer stopped playing sound try to roll back the driver....In order to roll back go to start, click on settings (XP control Panel) Go to system click on the hardware tab, click on device manager. wait then go down to the media tab open the tree find your sound devices and right click. Go to properties and click roll back driver, or if you havent upgraded get the drivers from the website and install their package.

magician

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 06:56:11 PM »
Well there's always the chance she's useing a digital sound card and the digital out box got unchecked. Hence my question.

trish35

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 09:32:36 PM »
it just happened.....
why is everything grayed out in sounds and multimedia..in the audio tab?
in sounds and multimedia properties..under devices tab my audio devices are  sis 7018 audio driver and unimodem half duplex wave device.
when i try to update the drivers it says the best one is already installed.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 02:36:51 PM »
Type dxdiag in the run box to test for sound...maybe you should try another audio/driver website...driver>.http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=75378  

or go to the msdos prompt and type scanreg/restore after it.........and answer yes to splash screen and chose last good cab-file....... if not you may have a corupted sound driver.......try another one..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 02:41:55 PM by merlin_2 »

trish35

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:33:22 PM »
Hi Merlin !
Thank You!!!!  I went to msdos prompt and did what you said and it worked!!!  Thank you so Much.. You made me very happy.....Trish :)