Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Converting a Word document to .rtf  (Read 2558 times)

jimflint1

Topic Starter

Beginner

Converting a Word document to .rtf
    « on: October 07, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »
    I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to convert a document created in Word to a file I can open up and have it look exactly the same as the Word document, in Open Office Writer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was thinking a conversion to an .rtf file would do, but Word doesn not directly convert to .rtf.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Converting a Word document to .rtf
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »
    I was thinking a conversion to an .rtf file would do, but Word doesn not directly convert to .rtf.
    ???  What?  One of the options for file format when you Save As and click the drop down arrow for Save as Type is .rtf. 

jimflint1

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:58:31 PM »
      I was thinking a conversion to an .rtf file would do, but Word doesn not directly convert to .rtf.
      ???  What?  One of the options for file format when you Save As and click the drop down arrow for Save as Type is .rtf. 

I thought so too--but I don't have Word myself. A person who is trying to send me a file said there wasn't a way to do it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 01:12:43 PM »
      Well, that person needs some guidance then.   ;)  .rtf is definitely one of the file formats that can be selected when saving the file.  However, depending on what formatting features were used in creating the Word document, I believe some of that may be lost when converting to .rtf.