Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wondering how I should upgrade...  (Read 2840 times)

snakeeyes021

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Wondering how I should upgrade...
    « on: October 07, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »
    Hi. So just recently, I decided it was about time to upgrade my computer. I’m having trouble deciding how I want to do that though. Here are my current specs:

Mobo: Asus PC-DL Deluxe
    CPU: Dual Intel Xeon 2.4s
    RAM: 1 Gig 333 Mhz DDR
    GPU: Geforce FX 5200
    HDD: 320 Gig Western Digital EIDE
    PSU: Antec Truepower Trio 650
    Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Now I was thinking of upgrading the CPUs to 3.0s, the RAM to 4 Gigs, and the GPU to a SAPPHIRE 100228L Radeon HD 3850 512MB. I priced it all out and it comes out to $440.

What I would like to know is whether it would be worth it to make those upgrades on such a limited motherboard (the RAMs 333 Mhz, the GPUs AGP, etc etc) or if I would be better off buying a newer low end system for $440, or even if I should just save up another $500 or so and just buy a nice new midrange system. For the most part, I just use my computer for school and stuff, but I play a few games like Lord of the Rings Online every once in a while, I do some music recording and editing with Sonar 7, and I occasionally like to fiddle with Adobe Premiere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

xavier

Re: Wondering how I should upgrade...
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:24:12 PM »
    When doing a up grade keep in mind your power supply. What is it at present?

snakeeyes021

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
      It's an Antec TruePower Trio 650 Watt PSU

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23650

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:43:15 PM »
      I think, it was a mistake to put Vista on 5 years old mobo with slow 1 gig RAM.
      I'd go for a new machine.

xavier

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
      Sorry i didnt notice the power supply in your Post. I personally wouldnt  do any upgrade to your existing system.

snakeeyes021

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »
        Yeah, I figured that would probably be the case. Well thank you both very much for your input.

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
          « Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:48:40 PM »
          Hi. So just recently, I decided it was about time to upgrade my computer. I’m having trouble deciding how I want to do that though. Here are my current specs:

Mobo: Asus PC-DL Deluxe
          CPU: Dual Intel Xeon 2.4s
          RAM: 1 Gig 333 Mhz DDR
          GPU: Geforce FX 5200
          HDD: 320 Gig Western Digital EIDE
          PSU: Antec Truepower Trio 650
          Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Now I was thinking of upgrading the CPUs to 3.0s, the RAM to 4 Gigs, and the GPU to a SAPPHIRE 100228L Radeon HD 3850 512MB. I priced it all out and it comes out to $440.

What I would like to know is whether it would be worth it to make those upgrades on such a limited motherboard (the RAMs 333 Mhz, the GPUs AGP, etc etc) or if I would be better off buying a newer low end system for $440, or even if I should just save up another $500 or so and just buy a nice new midrange system. For the most part, I just use my computer for school and stuff, but I play a few games like Lord of the Rings Online every once in a while, I do some music recording and editing with Sonar 7, and I occasionally like to fiddle with Adobe Premiere. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote

it would be much better to buy a new rig, because it is actually cheaper and you can get better specs than upgrading your old rig. especially now, where hardware is cheaper and cheaper everyday, especially harddrives, ram and cpus
          Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?