Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: finding a document  (Read 2015 times)

snowy

finding a document
« on: October 23, 2008, 06:02:50 PM »
My son created a document in word pad and saved it on 10/17.  On 10/22 he saved new info over it by mistake.  How can I get back the original document?  Please help as this was an important document.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: finding a document
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »
Hmmm - have to say, if the original was overwritten than can't see much chance unfortunately.  Using 20/20 hindsight - always good to save backups too of important stuff.

Any temp file generated during use of Word anyways is gone when app closed - I guess same may be the case with Wordpad.  Nothing other than the one file.  If a temp remained it would/should be in same folder anyways.

If it had been deleted then there would be ways to recover - even beyond recycle bin.

I hope tho someone else may have a good idea for you as it sucks to lose data of any sort.  I sympathize.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

marco

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:02:26 PM »
    Unfortunately I will have to agree with ChrisXPPro, if the data had only just been deleted it there are ways to recover it.  However, when files start to get overwritten it starts to become really hard if at all possible to recover the original information.  There are businesses that specialize in this area, but it's costly.  We are talking thousands of dollars and all the data isn't always decipherable.  So, unless that info was worth that much I doubt you will go that route.  I too feel for son.  Losing important data isn't fun.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »
    Small addition tho it doesn't help this problem ....... if original was My-special-file.rtf ...... resave that as My-special-file-bak.rtf.

Sadly I have been there long ago - but also work entirely for most part on my own puter and no one else gets at it!
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Bromide

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:28:24 PM »
      If you happen to be using Windows Vista, there may be a chance of recovering previous versions of files by using Vista’s Shadow Copy feature.

Access to this feature is included in Vista Business and Ultimate and can be added to Basic and Premium by installing a small application.
      I have little experience with this feature, but it may be worth investigating if it fits your situation.

Here is a link to one article on the subject. Search the internet for more information.
      http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/18/recover-files-with-previous-versions-volume-shadow-copy-in-vista-home-basic-and-premium-with-shadowexplorer/