Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting a router for streaming  (Read 2012 times)

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Setting a router for streaming
    « on: October 26, 2008, 04:29:57 AM »
    Does anyone know how to set up an router for streaming its for a community radio station. Ojas
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Setting a router for streaming
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »
    I guess what you mean is that you want to feed audio from your radio broadcast into the internet.  ??? I think that gets to be rather expensive. It eats up bandwidth to run it 24 by 7 all the time. So you will notice that there are only a few commercial stations that really do actual streaming. Instead, they do 'audio on demand', which is easier on the bandwidth until you get to the point where enough people are tunded in to justify a steady feed. 
    Is this a college station? Does the college have a dedicated server and a better than T1 connection into the internet? The streaming audio can use as much resources than about  10 to 20 average users on line. The streaming audio is like a FTP, a constant stream of data going out. But with a big difference. The FTP is from files that can be sent  out in bursts and lost packets will be resent. Real time Streaming is even more demanding that FTP feeds.
    If you do a search you will find that people are confusing audio on demand with streaming. Streaming once in awhile is not really streaming.  Audio on demand would be like your radio station  would not broadcast anything until you knew at least on person was listening. That is not really broadcasting.
    Does this make sense? In other words, there is a lot more involved that just letting the router pass stuff. And yes, you have to get a much better router to handle the demand.
    But if all you want is audio on demand, it is a piece of cake. Nothing to it.