Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: complete reformatting hard drive  (Read 1924 times)

Bert184

Topic Starter

Rookie

complete reformatting hard drive
    « on: October 27, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »
    Hallo.

I've just bought a near new computer (9 months old) and it had Windows XP SP2 installed. It came with an OEM XP SP-2 disk as well. The hard drive is partitioned 2 ways. C=9Gb and D=148Gb. There is a Windows program in both hard drives. I have been updating Windows XP with SP3, but it will only instal it in the smaller C drive. And I get the message that there is insufficient room in C drive. The updates will not instal in the larger D drive, which also has Windows XP on it as well.

My plan is to completely reformat the drive and only use a single drive for both the windows and the programs.

This computer also has no floppy drive.

Can I just put in the OEM disk in the drive and see what happens. I am not confident enough for that.

Any help is welcome.

Bert

Antodne

Greenhorn

Re: complete reformatting hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:45:01 AM »
      Assuming you have the original OEM the XP was installed with you can easily format the whole drive and reinstal windows the way you like. The easiest way is to do a complete reinstall. So make sure you back up all the stuff you wanna keep because you wont have anything left once you are finished it will be a fresh new setup. All you gotta do is put in your OEM and make your computer boot from the disc. Follow the instructions to where it will come to a screen that you will see all the partions on the Hard Drive. You have to manually select each partition to delete them and after you have them gone you can pick the largest file area on your drive...it will show something like how much space and then a space that has like 8gb or so. Once you select your partion (which will be the whole drive) it will give you the option to format..try not to use the quick option if you can. Once it formats your good to go. Follow the rest of the instructions and you will soon have a fresh start of Windows XP. Hope this helps out and good luck its not as bad as it seems. :)

Bert184

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: complete reformatting hard drive
        « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
        Hello back again

This sounds easy as pie to do that. Thanks for helping me.