Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't even turn on.  (Read 18480 times)

baseballst4r

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer won't even turn on.
    « on: October 30, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »
    My Dell Desktop with Windows XP will not even restart anymore.  The windows xp loading screen opens, then the screen goes black and a blue screen appears.  On the blue screen it reads "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down...".  It also says that "the video driver failed to initialize".  And on the bottom under technical information it has the codes 0x000000B4 (0x832853B0, 0x8321C000, 0x8322E000, 0x00050000).  Also Safe Mode will not start up.  It just returns to the blue screen when I press F8 during restart.

I figure it has something to do with the video driver, but I have no idea what the video driver even is. haha. I really do not feel like taking my computer to a computer expert only to spend $100's on repairs, since its only a $400 computer.  I was hoping someone could help me out.

I also don't want to completely erasing everything on it and starting from new, if its possible.  I have a lot of documents on it I'd like to be able to save.

Thanks!

EQB

Rookie

Re: Computer won't even turn on.
      « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »
      Have you tried the "last known good configuration" startup option? Tap F8 on startup and select it in the menu that appears.

baseballst4r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
        I just tried it.  The windows xp loading screen appeared for a few seconds but then the blue screen came back.  I tried it a second time and i got it to start and it even showed my desktop picture, but then it shut off and the blue screen appeared again.. And the third time still didn't work.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »
        How old is tghe computer? Do you know what kind of  graphics card it has?  You say It will not stat in safe mode. How many safe mode options did you try? There is one called BGA that is kfor when you have graphics problems.

baseballst4r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »
          It's around 5 years old? maybe older.
          I do not know the graphics card, I can try to find out if you know where it says it.
          I've tried almost all the safe modes except that. I'll try it.
          I ran it in VGA safe mode (if thats what you meant), and a black screen appeared with a mouse cursor, nothing else though.

EQB

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »
            Just out of curiosity does your computer have two graphics cards? If you don't know, you can look at the back of the machine for another VGA port that is NOT in the same area as the one you are currently using.

One of the ports should be in the same area your keyboard and mouse plug in (the kind with the round connector) and the other port should be lower down in one of the "expansion slots." If I'm not explaining this well, and you have a digital camera, you can take a picture of the back of the machine and upload it to a site like www.imageshack.us for us to look at.

baseballst4r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
              I'm not sure if there is one or two, but I think there's only one.
              Here's two pictures...

EQB

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:06:50 PM »
                OK, unfortunately you have one graphics card. I was hoping perhaps you had two and we could swap over to the integrated.

Well, we seem to be rapidly running out of options. If we can't get into safe mode and can't boot into last good configuration the only thing left I can think of is, unfortunately, full-blown reload. Now perhaps one of my fellow compatriots has an idea, but I'm fresh out.

If you decide reload is the way you want to go I can give you some tips and tricks on saving your data. Programs will have to be re-installed; but things like pictures, music, word processor documents, etc. are all quite rescuable.

baseballst4r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 08:10:23 PM »
                  Okay, I'll see if anyone else has any ideas, but most likely I will end up reloading it all. 
                  Thanks EQB  :)

EQB

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »
                    Lol, no problem. I only wish there was a nice quick fix for you. I'll be checking back on and off, so just post when you're ready to go for a reload and we can discuss options related to saving your data before the wipe.

rebel214

Beginner
                    • They call me the "rebel"...
                      « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 10:59:04 PM »
                      Everything has it's own place, in proper time...

EQB

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 12:42:30 PM »
                        Conflict with the parallel port ay? Wouldn't have guessed that one. Since option one is out of the question, sounds like it's BIOS time.

When you start your computer you should see a "DELL" splash-screen with some text telling you to press a specific key (usually on of the "F" keys such as "F1", or the delete key "del".) If you would tell us what keys it displays on that initial splash screen we can direct you into your BIOS setup where you can disable your parallel port. Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

baseballst4r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
                          It has F2 for Setup and F12 for Boot Menu.  What is the parallel port?

EQB

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 10:00:45 AM »
                            Ah, OK, when the computer boots up tap "F2" to get into BIOS setup. You should see a blue screen with a lot of choices. If you would list the choices we can direct you to the proper one to disable the parallel port.

The parallel port is that big pinkish port that was in the picture you posted. It was used for external devices of various types before USB became the de-facto standard.

baseballst4r

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »
                              Oh okay. Here's what is listed:

System Time
                              System Date

Drive Configuration
                              Hard-Disk Drive Sequence
                              Boot Sequence

Memory Information
                              CPU Information

Integrated Devices (LegacySelect Options)
                              Power Management
                              System Security

Keyboard NumLock
                              Report Keyboard Errors

Auto Power On
                              Remote Wake Up
                              Fast Boot
                              IDE Hard Drive Acoustics Mode

System Event Log

Asset Tag