Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video playbacks stall, stop, and restart every 10 20 seconds  (Read 3244 times)

anfinch

Topic Starter

video playbacks stall, stop, and restart every 10 20 seconds
    « on: October 30, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »
    When I play video clips when on the net, it playback stalls and restarts every few seconds.  Example, I choose a TV show episode and it starts and stops.  Even, help videos do the same.  This stops me from being able to get or start a download of a TV episode etc.  I have rec cure and have run it and still have probelm.  Is it something I am doing?

EQB

Rookie

Re: video playbacks stall, stop, and restart every 10 20 seconds
      « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »
      Hi, welcome to Computer Hope!

If you could answer a few questions it would help us out a lot :) .

1. What kind of Internet connection do you have? Cable? DSL? Satellite? Dial-Up?
      2. What sites exactly are you trying to watch video from?
      3. Has the video always stuttered, or is this a recent development?
      4. What kind of computer do you have, specifically the model number?
      5. How old is your computer?

anfinch

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »
        thank you for answering my question   :)   :)You requested more info on my system etc.......answers......I have a DSL connection with ATT, I have tried watching video with youtube asking for FX network.....I get a HULU connect but it stalls when it starts, also, video clips in email ( Daily Mortgage News links to CNBC news reports (they start run a few seconds....I clicked the download option but still sputters......If I go to FX Network in Real Player it has the episodes I want and when I click on the episode it starts and sputters or sits and seems to be doing nothing......I have a CompaQ, Presario 8000 series purchased in 2003model # S4120WM.....Is this enough info to go on?   I appreciate any help.  I have never really try to download videos before but want to do TV episodes.

EQB

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
          Well your Internet connection seems up to the task, but just in case visit www.speedtest.net and click the yellow pyramid on the map it will display. It should tell you two important things: download speed and upload speed. If you would post the numbers it gives that would help a lot.

If it's not your connection speed that's the problem then it's something related to the speed of your local machine. Flash-based video players consume a great deal of system resources, and a machine that isn't up to the task will exhibit the behavior you describe. I will look into your system specs to see if your base machine is capable.
          « Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:43:40 PM by EQB »