Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't detect Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter  (Read 7619 times)

Ethem

Topic Starter

Can't detect Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter
    « on: November 01, 2008, 08:07:16 PM »
    Hello there,
    I really hope you can help me with this problem as I've been dealing with it for the last 2 weeks and have become hopeless...

My brother recently had problems with his internet, so he gave it to me to solve the problem.
    His laptop is an HP Pavillion dv9005us with Windows XP SP2.

The first time i looked at the laptop, I noticed that there was no connect-to menu in the start menu, and that there was no wireless network connection icon in the right-bottom corner. So I looked up which wireless network adapter he was using, and it comes actually in the laptop, but the device manager did not show any missing network device, neither did it show any network device (other than the1394 net adapter). The missing  device is a Broadcom 802.11 Wireless Network Adapter. I had no idea what happened, but I downloaded the network adapter driver setup from hp's support website, and used that. It did not work, so I decided to reformat the PC.

After I formated the harddrive and reinstalled Windows XP I also reinstalled the network driver, and it worked. However, after I shut down and turned on the laptop, it didn't appear again! Same problem as before, the PC does not detect the wireless network adapter. Then again I shutdown and turned on the PC and it worked again. So I formated everything again, but the problem remained. So the only other thing I checked was the BIOS. When the system boots, I pressed F10 and checked all the options and noticed that in the boot order menu the network adapter had an exclamation mark next to it, still there was no explanation on what the meaning was.

I really hope you can help me out, because my brother really needs the wireless internet for university :(

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can't detect Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:26:47 AM »
    The onboard wireless may be dead...how old is the laptop ? ?
    This may come down to adding a wireless card to it.
    Did you re-install the laptop MBoard drivers from the driver CD that shipped with the laptop ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ethem

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »
      The onboard wireless may be dead...how old is the laptop ? ?
      This may come down to adding a wireless card to it.
      Did you re-install the laptop MBoard drivers from the driver CD that shipped with the laptop ? ?
      Doesn't sound good :( . Do those usually happen when a virus is in action, or because it's old?
      The laptop is 2-3 years old now though. I could in fact add one, but I don't want to be dependant on that. Also, the local area connection is missing for some reason, any clue on why that is?
      The laptop did not arrive with any CD other than the Windows XP SP2 Operating System CDs. All of the softwares are suppose to be on the hp driver installation site I mentioned... and I installed all of them, except for the ones that are useless (optical mouse/ bluetooth). I haven't ,odified the Mboard, and internet did work when I reformated the PC a year ago... :(

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
      A virus will not cause a network card to go bad...
      In laptops i've seen them fail in 2 years and i've seen others that outlasted the laptop itself.

It could still be an incorrect driver however...post a link to where you are getting the drivers from...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jhildenbrandt

Can't detect Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter
      « Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »
      I am having the same problem - it started right after I updated the BIOS.  Did either of you ever find a solution?  Thanks.