Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bios beep during post, computer turns on fine - no visible problems, help!  (Read 3641 times)

imlinked

Hi, I recently built a custom computer and the minute I turn it on, it immediately has 2 short beeps, and 1 loud irritatingly long beep... At first I figured it was because there was no OS installed, however the beep still continued after I installed XP successfully. I can successfully boot up Windows, install drivers/program and there is no visible problems.

One thing I did afterwards was go into the bios and loaded optimal performance defaults. Surprisingly, the loud long beep disappeared, but the 2 short beeps continued and instead of the annoying long beep that follows right after, I receive the "successful boot beep" sound that I heard a million times in my previous computers. Dunno how to describe that sound but... its the beep sound that goes off on a successful post I believe.

If there is ONE symptom, I found out that in the BIOS menu the keyboard response is EXTREMELY slow. For example, if I press the down arrow key, there is a 3~4 second lag before going down the menu. What does this imply? This happens in both my USB and ps/2 keyboards.

Again, no visible problems after boot up but I'm concerned about problems that may prop up later along the road. I still have time to return/replace parts so I'd like to find out exactly what the problem is. Any recommendations?

BTW my motherboard is an MSI G31M3-L V2 with an AMI bios. Ram is a Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 Twin XMS(2gbx2). Listing these because it seems if there is hardware problem, its usually these two that would signal beep codes.

Please help me solve this problem, thanks!

xenon6543

Rookie

Re: Bios beep during post, computer turns on fine - no visible problems, help!
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:49:07 AM »
    http://www.bioscentral.com/  <<---go there and down the left hand side is a list of bios systems and the post beep codes, use that to identify what the beep codes mean. Gl