Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: device manager (code 19)  (Read 4968 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    device manager (code 19)
    « on: November 10, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »
    hello there

I found one of these messages in device manager
    Windows cannont start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19)

I reinstalled the hardware, which was a fugifilm camera's software and everything was back to normal.

But this only happened when i installed a memory card reader as well,  so the next time i hooked the camera up i could not use it, and thats when i went to device manager and saw this message.

Code 19
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)
    Recommended resolutions

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device,  if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager and scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

So doe's this mean that i have basically two devices doing the same thing, and that i should only stick to using one device like the memory card reader.....

thanks for any replys.

windows xp pro....
    windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: device manager (code 19)
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »
    I'm assuming these are both USB devices correct ? ?
    Travel to Device Manager and right click each of them and select "remove"...you will get a warning...ignore it.
    Then go to Add/Remove Programs and also remove any software that was installed with it.
    Do a few re-boots.
    Unplug both devices.
    Install the software for the card reader first...it will prompt you when to plug the device in. After finishing this successfully again do a few re-boots and check Device Manager to insure there are no yellow !!'s.
    Power down and unplug the card reader.
    Repeat the above installation process for the camera making sure it is not plugged in until the driver software asks for it.
    Again do a few re-boots and double check Device Manager.

You should be good to go now.

P.S. I forgot to ask you to mention the orientation of these devices ...i.e. plugged into front/rear ports or are you using a USB hub for both ? ?

P.S.S. You may need to assign Drive letters that are not being used to each card reader ( they sometimes show up as individual drives ) in Disk Management and then assign a drive letter to the camera ( which should be listed as a mass storage device )

To enter Disk Management right clik My Computer and select Manage...then Disk Management.

Make sure to pick letters a few clicks down from existing drives...i.e. if your current last drive is E: or F: start with J: or K: leaving the open letters foe thumb drives.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:04:18 AM »
      P.S. I forgot to ask you to mention the orientation of these devices ...i.e. plugged into front/rear ports or are you using a USB hub for both ? ?

hello patio
      yes both ports are at the rear, and they are both in a usb hub, i have printed your reply out, but i will wait for a reply befor i try this out , regarding them both being in a usb hub

Then go to Add/Remove Programs and also remove any software that was installed with it.

the card reader you just plug in and the drive letters do show up in my computer.
      and i have the camera software installed

when you say remove do you mean uninstall

ps  when i did have this problem, and went to device manager, and saw the two yellow exclamation marks, i did unplug the card reader, and then unistalled & reinstalled the cameras software
      so now i am just using the camera for now.

I am not sure about plugging in the card reader again in case thats stops the camera from working...(very confusing) :'(

Maybe, you carn't have them both plugged in at the same time, because basically the do the same thing

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:47:01 AM by carlrowley1 »
      windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »
      Just follow the steps for the camera since the card reader doesn't use drivers or software.
      You should be able to use both devices at once though...is this a powered hub ? ?

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »
        Install the software for the card reader first...it will prompt you when to plug the device in. After finishing this successfully again do a few re-boots and check Device Manager to insure there are no yellow !!'s.
        Power down and unplug the card reader.
        Repeat the above installation process for the camera making sure it is not plugged in until the driver software asks for it.
        Again do a few re-boots and double check Device Manager.

You should be good to go now.

yep that seems to have done it, both are working fine no exclamation mark there
        (as yet)
        Could it be something i did , like not use the (safely remove hardware button) when you do attach devices like these , i normally just pull them out when i have finished.
        can you do this, or are you surpposed to use the safely remove hardware button

thanks for your advice very much appreciated

2gb ram/32 bit/

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
        I would always suggest using the Safely Remove Hardware approach even if you got lucky once and didn't lose data...
        Glad to hear you are fixed up.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
          « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »
          I would always suggest using the Safely Remove Hardware approach even if you got lucky once and didn't lose data...
          Glad to hear you are fixed up.

right you are patio, i shall do that from know on, much appreciated  8)

2gb ram/32 bit/