Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card Compatibility Issue?!  (Read 6268 times)

Urkeytay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Video Card Compatibility Issue?!
    « on: November 11, 2008, 01:50:22 PM »
    Hello all,

Just curious if anyone has any knowledge or insight about an issue that I am having.

First off, my specs are

Windows XP Pro SP3
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
    The motherboard model is an 8187-E3U Ibm ThinkCentre

I have this ati Radeon 9250 PCI card I would like to use in here, but whenever I put it into any of the PCI slots It posts  as such

"One Long and Three Short Beeps.     Video (EGA) Display Circuitry."
    (taken from http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#06)

Anyways, this card is decent, or rather I should say it's much better than the onboard video I'm using here.

Other things to note, I updated the BIOS on the MOBO and still no such luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Video Card Compatibility Issue?!
      « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »
      have you tired another card an make sure thats its not the MB? 
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Urkeytay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »
        heh, I wish I had another card to test in there.  I do have one, but it's at my ex's house...D'oh!

on a positive note though, my roomate tested the card in his PC and everything worked dandy for him.

I thinkin this IBM mobo just sucks!

joefido

Beginner
          « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »
          Did you disable onboard video in BIOS?

Urkeytay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:25:25 PM »
            Honestly, I don't even think there is an option to do so.

This IBM bios kinda blows.

joefido

Beginner
              « Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:47:10 PM »
              If the MoBo is able to accept an add-in Video card, than there should be a way in BIOS to disable the on-board video. If not, than you can't run an add on card with the on-board enabled. Your MoBo is not a Hybrid.

joefido

Beginner
                « Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 11:48:18 PM »
                btw, what brand i sthe computer?

Urkeytay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 12:04:36 AM »
                  Windows XP Pro SP3
                  Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
                  2.79GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
                  The motherboard model is an 8187-E3U Ibm ThinkCentre

ehye

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 12:17:16 AM »
                    9250 Radeon is for AGP/ATI MOBO compatible Only..

is 8187 E3U IBM motherboard is AGP 8x Ready? or Not?

if its ready, try to un installed the old Video card driver first before u install the Radeon!

Urkeytay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:19:41 AM »
                      9250 Radeon is for AGP/ATI MOBO compatible Only..

is 8187 E3U IBM motherboard is AGP 8x Ready? or Not?

if its ready, try to un installed the old Video card driver first before u install the Radeon!

This ATI Radeon is a PCI card though?

In the bios there is an option for AGP graphics aperture or something of the sort, and in those options it lets me go up to 256mb (which this card is) But alas, it's merely a PCI card, not AGP.

So again, I'm starting to think either this card isn't compatible, or this mobo only accepts AGP cards?

joefido

Beginner
                        « Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »
                        your MoBo has an AGP slot. If you use a Video Card w/an AGP interface it may automaticaly disable the on-board video. PCI might not be compatible w/MoBo.

joefido

Beginner
                          « Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »
                          Found this info on the Lenovo website ..
                          Some system boards ship with the AGP slot disabled and plugged. These slots have been disabled at the chipset level and do not work. The plugs should not be removed.
                          Some AGP adapters use a retaining clip, which must be moved to one side to prevent damage when removing the adapter.
                          Setting the video resolution to 640x480x16 colors in Device Manager is not the same as changing the hardware to a VGA adapter. You must change the adapter selection from the installed adapter, i.e. ATI, nVidia, or Matrox, to a standard VGA adapter in the Display Properties dialog box.
                          Some Intel chipsets uses Dynamic Video Memory technology (DVMT) for video memory. The initial memory count can indicate less than expected system memory count.
                          Click here to learn more about DVMT.
                          Signal cable extensions and keyboard, video, mouse (KVM) switches are not supported.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4Y6LGT

Urkeytay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 12:27:34 AM »
                            Right right.

that's what I'm thinking.

This mobo does indeed have an AGP slot.

again, I may just have to splurge and get a new card.  I don't do much on here as far as gaming, I've got a Wii, xbox 360, etc at my disposal.   My major problem is I can tell this onboard video is a bit glitchy even when scrolling through web pages and I guess I just don't like it!

I do a lot of photoshopping as well, and it seems to perform a bit slow.

Urkeytay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 12:28:58 AM »
                              Found this info on the Lenovo website ..
                              Some system boards ship with the AGP slot disabled and plugged. These slots have been disabled at the chipset level and do not work. The plugs should not be removed.
                              Some AGP adapters use a retaining clip, which must be moved to one side to prevent damage when removing the adapter.
                              Setting the video resolution to 640x480x16 colors in Device Manager is not the same as changing the hardware to a VGA adapter. You must change the adapter selection from the installed adapter, i.e. ATI, nVidia, or Matrox, to a standard VGA adapter in the Display Properties dialog box.
                              Some Intel chipsets uses Dynamic Video Memory technology (DVMT) for video memory. The initial memory count can indicate less than expected system memory count.
                              Click here to learn more about DVMT.
                              Signal cable extensions and keyboard, video, mouse (KVM) switches are not supported.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4Y6LGT

Rewind, am I gathering there is a "physical" switch here?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 09:18:02 AM »
                                It dont matter if its pci or not as long as its bios disabled for the on board.
                                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres