Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External display will not work  (Read 2045 times)

oneminuteofclarity

Topic Starter

Rookie

External display will not work
    « on: November 15, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »
    I have a Sony Vaio with Vista Home Premium. I used to be able to use it without a problem, it would start automatically when I hooked it up. I got a virus and to get rid of it I set the computer back to it's default settings. While I had the virus and ever since I haven't been able to use my external display.

I've tried reinstalling the video card, changing the detection method and tried both the regular monitor cable and an S-Video cable, the computer knows that something is plugged in cause the screen resets like it used to when it worked but it doesn't show the pictures on the second monitor or even show that one is connected in display settings.

I'd guess it's something from the virus but I don't know a whole lot about it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: External display will not work
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »
    Did you re-install your drivers including MBoard ? ?
    I'm assuming "reset" means a re-install but you were not clear on that.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oneminuteofclarity

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: External display will not work
      « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
      Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I reinstalled the display driver again and played with the resolution a little bit and got it to work. It seems like I have to have the external display at a smaller resolution than than the computer screen and the only options aren't the right ratio. The laptop is set at 1280X800 and the external (my tv) should be 1280X720 but if you get it close to that resolution it doesn't show the screen on the tv. I don't know if that's something I can change to work better or if that's just how it is but if you know that would be great. Thanks