Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: firmware update  (Read 2833 times)

hot dog

firmware update
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
hi again... ;D

does anyone know where to find a firmware update for this:

DVD/CD RW Drive

Model#16W1P161C

Manufacturer:  Philips & BenQ Digital Storage Corporation

I can't seem to find a website site with the download.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: firmware update
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:17:45 AM »
Something here might be of interest.

Good luck.
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
That must be a very rare model.  Google yields 6 hits for it.   ;)

If it were mine, I'd want to get any firmware updates from the manufacturer.  Why do you think you need a firmware update?

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
I cannot find the manufacturer's website, that's why I posted here.   I've tried CDFREAKS already,    they only offer    LH-16W1P.     When I try to intall it I get an error saying that my drive does not "match" the firmware.       I don't know if it makes any difference, but my drive model has the prefix  "DH",  not  "LH", however, that's as close to my model as I can find, so far.

I don't know for sure if I need a firmware update, I'm just trying to work out the possibility that I need one.  My drive might be bad so I'm just checking everything before I throw it out.

The drive will not play some DVD movies, even if they are bran new.  I have another DVD/CD drive in my PC that use for the DVDs the RW drive won't play.  Someone said this might be due to copywrite protection software in the DVDs to make it difficult to copy........I don't know if that's true but I'm just checking around, anyway.

Also, I just burned an RW disk, took it out momentarily, and then reinserted it and the drive wouldn't read the disk.  I used the "live file system" in Windows Vista to do this.   Then, using CDburnerXP, I burned another  RW disk so I have a "mastered" format of the same files and my burner wouldn't read it either, after taking it out and reinserting it....         I can't even use CDburnerXP to blank the disk, when I click on the "erase" option it says that my disk it not "rewritable"....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:10:46 PM by hot dog »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
Welll, again, I'm still wondering about the validity of that model # you posted.  If it is a valid #, it's *highly* unlikely a Google search would not yield many more hits.  That # looks much more like a serial # than a model #.

I may be wrong but I'm under the impression the Philips & BenQ label is the result of a merger between two companies.  So, perhaps your drive is listed under BenQ or Philips.  Visit http://benq.com/products/Storage/ for BenQ.  And, here's a Philips support page