Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue Screen Upon Windows XP Installation  (Read 2749 times)

infiltrator

Topic Starter

Rookie

Blue Screen Upon Windows XP Installation
    « on: November 19, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
    Hello, I am new to this forum, but need some tech help.
    I just built my computer maybe 6 months ago. It is a dual core, 2GB, NVidia graphics card (built in), and much more. I purchased a WD hard drive 160 GB, and that recently crashed on me (getting it replaced).

In the meantime I bought a new WD hard drive called the Raptor (really fast and reliable). I plugged it in using same Sata cables and can't install windows for some reason...

Partitioning goes fine, everything does as it should. When my computer turns off and tries to restart, it hands while the windows icon shows and the loading bar runs across.
    Then the screen goes blue and tells me that there could be damage to my computer!

I have read upon here about pressing F6 upon the install for Sata drivers, but I have not seen where to do that. That is about my only thought of why this could be the way it is.

Please help if you can, I would really appreaciate it!!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Blue Screen Upon Windows XP Installation
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »
    The F6 prompt comes up very early on in the install process...
    Pay attention to the bottom of the screen right after it says setup is starting.
    Do you have the MBoard drivers that contain the SATA/RAID driver ? ? Because it will ask for them.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

infiltrator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:33:13 PM »
      Okay, well I found it just like you described. Now it is telling me
      "Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter" Currently, Setup will load support for the following mass storage device

-none-

To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD-ROM drives, or special disk controllers for use with Windows... Press S

If you do not have any [blah blah blah] press Enter"

So I press S and it is asking me for a CD.
      Am I at the right place.
      Should I put my MOBO CD in? What should I do if I cannot find my MOBO CD!?

infiltrator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »
        Okay, so I found my drivers online. I downloaded them and put them to a disc (just literally extracted the files, and dragged everything to a blank cd and set it to burn).

When I put the CD in (when its asking for the installation cd) it says "please wait" at the bottom and then asks me for the disc again.

Did I burn this disc wrong? What is going on!??
        I still get that blue screen that says "A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer"...