Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hp pavilion laptop wireless button doesnt light & has not wireless  (Read 8005 times)

sherriedb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I am working on a my friend's hp pavilion, maybe 6 years old. xp professional. It should have wireless, but there is not wireless in network connections.  I thought at first wireless button had been pushed by mistake, but when I push it ...no light comes on...nothing. I am trying to find out if my friend has restore discs. Someone told me to do a hard reset, but I dont see how that would help anything. The laptop works perfectly except for that. I installed a wireless card (you plug in), installed the drivers for that and wireless worked fine. Do you think a restore back to original config would help. I really didnt want to do that especially if he has no discs. Even if it has it on a partition...it seems to me a lot could go wrong. (no date or programs are important at this point). I just thought the card has gone bad or lost the drivers. Thank you for any help you can give me.

sherriedb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: hp pavilion laptop wireless button doesnt light & has not wireless
      « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 07:36:43 AM »
      BTW I also installed drivers for the laptops internal wireless card and it did nothing.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »
      If you re-install the MBoard drivers for the laptop it won't hurt anything.
      These include the wireless ethernet drivers.
      You might want to disconnect the wireless card for this step.
      Then travel to Device Manager and see if the laptop wireless chipset shows healthy ( no Yellow !!'s )

If so try to reconnect.

Wiping a machine out to try and fix this is a bit drastic...especially if he has no CD's.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sherriedb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
        thank you. i am going to do that now. i'll let u know. thanks for taking your time!

sherriedb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »
          I have a stupid question  8) I went to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&product=353507 and downloaded and installed all the "Driver-Network" drivers. Which one would be the motherboard drivers?

sherriedb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48:16 PM »
            please forgive me...i solved the problem. i downloaded drivers for the hp pav ze5300 because that is what was on the laptop. i just happened to notice a half peeled off label saying ze5385us !!! it has the driver for the wirless card!!! I guess the 5300 didnt have wireless! so simple. Thank you for your help.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »
            Good work.
            One thing to keep in mind...no matter what laptop it is the manuf. site is the ONLY site you should try drivers from.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sherriedb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:19 AM »
              Thank you! Good advice because I was a little desperate  :P and considered downloading from another site. I WON'T.