Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU starts normal, but screen blank. Can faintly see mouse move.  (Read 2223 times)

caseyspurgin

CPU starts normal, but screen blank. Can faintly see mouse move.
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:43:32 PM »
I turn on comp. and lights and fan all seem to be working correctly, but there is no picture.  If I look real hard I can see my desktop, but just barely.  Could the screen itself be out?  If so..... I bought a new Laptop but still have all my family pictures on the old Laptop, what to do.  Can I somehow connect old comp to new comp with USB or something and how would I pull this off since I cannot see screen of old computer.  I understand very little about CPU so kindergarten explanations would be helpful.  New computer is HP with Vista and old one is Compaq with XP.  Old comp does not have output for s cable, I thought I could hook it up to my TV, but no.   Thanks, KC

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: CPU starts normal, but screen blank. Can faintly see mouse move.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Remove hard drive from old computer, buy hard drive enclosure (~$20), and hook it up to your new computer.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:04:35 PM by Broni »

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: CPU starts normal, but screen blank. Can faintly see mouse move.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 01:17:16 AM »
so this old computer is a laptop?? go to a friends house and with the laptop off, plug an external monitor in and then use your laptop there to wirelessly transfer photos/usb drive/crossover cable

if it is a desktop (your old one) then it definitely sounds like the monitor...I had one like this a year and a bit ago and just replaced it and havn't looked back since...of course the explanation for the laptop screen being so black is the back light broke and isn't lighting up the screen.

Easiest mothod it to go to a friends house with both, plug their monitor in (assuming it is VGA not many laptops have direct DVI output yet)

kurtis