Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: processor speed  (Read 2740 times)

tommcat1208

Topic Starter

Rookie

processor speed
    « on: November 30, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »
    Ok I'm a newbee but pc savy. I would like to increase my computer speed with a better processor. I have looked up everything I hope to know about my motherboard , such as processor compatability, and speeds. I have contacted my OEM, Gateway, about what I can upgrade to and they told me to ask Intel about it. Well they no longer support my dinasour 845G series chipset nor will they advise me on what to upgrade to. From what little info I could get, it looks like I could upgrade from 2.40Ghz/533Mhz to 2.80Ghz/533Mhz, Pentium 4. Would anyone know if I could go higher or if that little change in speed would make a differance?

Tom
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:30:24 PM by tommcat1208 »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: processor speed
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:53:24 PM »
    What
    "Muthrbroad"
    ? ?
    Without that info it's just guesswork.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tommcat1208

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:27 PM »
      ok, sorry, I ment motherboard!

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
      What is the brand and model number of your computer?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

tommcat1208

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »
        Hey, Its an E-4000 Gateway. 5 yr old. Intel 845GRG board Pentium 4 processor. 512 ram. Just glad its still goin strong and surprised would like to make it more compitable with todays tech. Thinking about a new board possibly.

Thanks tom
        « Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:46:01 AM by tommcat1208 »

rebel214

Beginner
        • They call me the "rebel"...
          « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:15:06 AM »

The faster, the better as what they say.....you can probably have a little performance improvement with processor upgrade (from 2.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz)

A memory upgrade could be a much better option since, according to you, you have only 512Mb of RAM, PLUS on ONBOARD VIDEO...

From this setup, i think, on my point of view, adding more RAM( 2Gig as your MOBO's max capacity) can have a significant improvement on your system.... :)

Since this system has a little room for upgrades, this option can add an extra power for your sytem..... ;D

See here...

http://pcworld.about.com/news/Mar202003id109922.htm

You can also consider adding a graphics card for your system, so that you can have full usage of the system RAM.......... :)

Everything has it's own place, in proper time...

tommcat1208

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 06:28:01 AM »
            Thanks so much for the info. I found more info on my system and yes I am going to add more RAM.  :) I put in a new pci graphics card works great but I think with only 512Ram games don't run the best. Therefore I shall increase the power.... 8)
            Tom

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 08:28:32 AM »
            If you travel to Crucial.com and enter your specs it will tell you exactly what type of RAM the machine takes and how much is the max amount...
            They have an online scanner as well if you don't have all the system details.
            You don't have to buy it from them but at least this info will make you an informed shopper.
            It's important to get the right type...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rebel214

Beginner
            • They call me the "rebel"...
              « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 02:49:15 AM »

I put in a new pci graphics card works great but I think with only 512Ram games don't run the best.

I think your system has no PCI-Ex slot for graphics card, and  if I am not mistaken, it is an AGP 4X slot....

It is a PCI video card, not PCI-Express......... :o
              Everything has it's own place, in proper time...