Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fuse blowing  (Read 4027 times)

peter gray

fuse blowing
« on: April 03, 2005, 03:08:20 AM »
have a msi kt3 ultra 2 m/b 400watt psu
running win xp proff. amd 1800 512 mem ddr
problem is intermittent
main fuse 3 amp blows now and again
have reloaded drivers setup whole system cleaned inside installed new fans
any ideas out there to reason?
got me baffled.
have two sytems in place both were on at same time different locations in house i was connected to web via hub as is other computer both protected by anti surge devices. using graphic card/ethernet link in agp/pci have one dvd rom r/w and stand 1.4 floppy 40gig hard drive. cannot understand why fuse is blowing as it is not blowing all the time no short circut . lost please advise

Computer_Commando

Re: fuse blowing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 02:32:13 PM »
...main fuse 3 amp blows now and again...

Where is this main fuse located?

papagray

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 11:40:15 PM »
normal kettle type plug to psu from main power

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 01:20:38 AM »
    Transformers have a high inrush current and are often fitted with special slow blowing fuses so make sure you are replacing them with the correct type & size.

3 amps sounds a tad low for a 400 watt power supply.
    Reading through my power supply book, it says the running current would be about 10 amps at 115 volts.

I'm assuming this fuse is on the primary side (input) of the transformer.

papagray

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 01:53:09 AM »
    have replaced with 5amp fuse
    hopefully this should cure problem
    other computer running on 3 amp no problems
    using a q-tech 400watt psu in both computers

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 02:00:17 AM »
      It may be worth a google search to get the correct fuse specifications.

papagray

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 09:27:53 AM »
       :-[have sinced contacted q-tec and their advice is change the lead and use another power outlet.
      poss loose wires :-X
      on reflection after three e-mails they still did not understand the question. the kettle lead has been cahnged and another power socket used and it still blew i suspect psu feedback as i am using the anti surge device from first blowout. and she is using mine in another socket. so still confused.

jim_me2

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 11:42:36 AM »
      Hi, This is not really an area of specialty for me but... You say you have an 'anti surge' device but is it a $5.99 special or an actual, performance guaranteed, surge protector? With the first, if you have a surge it blows out a circuit in the power bar and all you have is a 6 place extension cord. I usually use a UPS on any computer, helps with black outs, brown outs and surges.
      Good luck,
      jim

papagray

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 11:56:51 AM »
      cheers jim its a proper device
      in old uk don't suffer many blackout/brownouts
      anyhow its the wifes computer!
      she know to back up frequently now..
      cheers anyhow (it cost £22 appx 40 us$)
      cheers for help

jim_me2

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 03:16:11 PM »
      Few power problems there? I may move  ;)
      Okay, trial one didn't work, how about this.
      I did a little searching and found a site with a problem similar to yours listed. http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-5450.html May help a little.
      Also, looking over the QTechnology website I found a disclaimer regarding others selling PSU's as QTec. You probably already know this but just in case,
      PLEASE NOTE - It has come to our attention that another company called "Q-Tec" has recently entered the market and is causing confusion by offering low cost PSUs in competition with QTechnology. Please be certain that neither QTechnology nor Quiet PC have any connection whatsoever with Q-Tec. We know several instances of customer being disappointed with the quality and noise level of Q-Tec PSUs only to find out later that the product they had bought was not made by QTechnology. If you are not buying directly from Quiet PC, please make sure you know what you are buying, and if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is! To add further to the confusion, we now find that there is a third company calling themselves Qtech who have started offering pre-built PCs. Again, our position is that we have no association with them.

Ve try, ve try, sometymps ve fail but ve try.   ;D
      jim

papagray

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 12:36:08 PM »
       :D
      cheers for that
      changed wifes over to spare 300watt psu
      seems okay at moment