Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Pro will not boot correctly, roll back and cannot boot into safe mode  (Read 2311 times)

Rooksarii

Hi all,

To start, here are my system specs:

Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe
Processor: AMD Opteron 170 dual core
RAM: 1 gig (2 sticks) OCZ
Graphics: XFX Geforce 7800
Audio: Creative X-FI
HDD: SATA WD 200gig and an old IDE WD 120 (old install of XP Home)
CD: Plextor DVD ROM, CD-RW

BSOD Message (just the codes):

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF630D42A, 0xF79EE1A4, 0xF79EDEA0)

I've got what probably isn't too odd of an issue, but with some strange caveats. As the title states, the system will not boot regularly. I was able to boot into safe mode immediately after the first occurrence and check a few things (including disabling the auto reboot so I could see the BSOD).  After a few attempts at correcting the issue with roll backs via safe mode (Last Known option just repeated the error), the system will now no longer boot into even safe mode. This all started after an attempted display driver update.

One of the odd things about this situation is that the system required me to boot from the XP CD (I believe it was a conflict/issue with having the newer XP Pro SATA drive and the XP Home IDE in the same system, but I never got around to wiping everything out and starting fresh).

The second funky thing that comes up from all of that is when I try to do a XP Repair from a direct CD boot, I only have the D: drive (my cd drive) as a repairable option.  :-\

My options in and of themselves seem limited I am sure. I know I can just go for broke and do a complete re-install of the system, but will have to dig some irreplaceable stuff from the drive if that is the case (I am sure some guys at my IT dept at work will at least be willing to do that). I have not as of yet done anything in the BIOS, however. If disabling or adjusting anything in there may help, I am all ears. I believe Asus has Phoenix BIOS on the above listed mobo.

One thing I am curious to know, would it be feasible for me to install XP Pro on the old IDE drive (setting that to master somehow) and digging out all the files, etc I want to back up? I know I'm a bit all over the place with questions, but definitely looking for any and all advice you may have.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:53:35 AM by Rooksarii »

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: XP Pro will not boot correctly, roll back and cannot boot into safe mode
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:20:06 PM »
Start with HD diagnostic: System Memory: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287