Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista only occasionally starts - power supply fault?  (Read 9968 times)

Andrew308

Topic Starter

Vista only occasionally starts - power supply fault?
    « on: December 11, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »
    Dell XPS XPS710
    Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
    Memory RAM 4.00 GB
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Operating System
    SP 1
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Hi all

Here’s the problem
    About a month ago the machine started to sporadically remain ‘asleep’ when I
    pressed the power button to turn it on. I would shut down as usual but
    getting the machine to start again has become increasingly hit and miss.

Sometimes when I try to start the computer it starts OK. Sometimes it just
    starts flashing an amber light; when I press the power button again the
    amber light stops, and then starts up again when the power button is pressed
    a third time.

Sometimes the computer does not start for two or three days. And sometime it
    starts after a few hours.
    After pressing the power button I either get the slowly blinking amber light
    or (occasionally but not often) the machine actually starts. It seems as if
    it is waiting to be woken up by something, but I have tried all keyboard
    key, moving the mouse, and of course trying the power switch.
    There is no activity apart from the yellow light. The fan does not start,
    the drives are not activated and the machine is completely silent

Here is (possibly) the solution?
    So…I’ve been advised that the power supply is faulty.
    Is it relatively easy to acquire the power supply for an XPS710?
    Is replacing the power supply a complex thing to attempt?
    (I’ve looked beneath the cover and replaced graphics cards but am not an expert)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew308

kizza1645

Re: Vista only occasionally starts - power supply fault?
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 05:28:30 AM »
    80% chance its your power supply.
    Either its not sending out the required power, or it is not operating at all correctly.

Changing a power supply is very complicated if your new to pc's.
    You have to know where everything goes, and one wrong mistake could wipe out an entire component.

In my opinion i would suggest you get it looked at by a professional, seeing as the computer hope forum,
    can't do as much as look inside your pc and help you change your power supply.

Power supplies range from 50-200 for a reasonable one. You will need to find the right one for your computer power requirements too.
    This is why its best you find a friend, or take your pc to a computer store.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
    ok it sounds like it probably is the power supply but it could also be a number of other things like the power button isnt having a good connection or the motherboard is broken
    Is this computer still under warenty? dell should send out a serves guy and replace it for you if it is
    also if they wont do this than you MUST get the special dell power supply or else you could break the other power supply you get or the motherboard
    YOU MUST USE DELL POWER SUPPLY!

kizza1645

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:19:55 AM »
    Don't keep talking about dell,

give a proper answer if you want to participate.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:09 AM »
    If the computer is under Warranty though, they can replace the Power Supply for free.

Make sure you know exactly what they're going to do. If they start talking about 'reformatting' or 'Reinstall Windows' or anything along those lines, get the computer back ASAP. I doubt this is a software problem.

I wonder if you can sue a company if they erase all your data without your permission.....hmmmm....

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »
    I wonder if you can sue a company if they erase all your data without your permission.....hmmmm....

If this were true there would be no Geek Squad...they do it hundreds of times a day...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:56:34 PM »
    Don't keep talking about dell,

give a proper answer if you want to participate.
    well sorry your computer is a dell (yes i am truly sorry) but scense your computer is a dell mabye dell offers some warrenty? or mabye dells can only use specific power supplys? sorry for trying to help mabye if you got a good computer i wouldnt need to talk about dells

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »

YOU MUST USE DELL POWER SUPPLY!

Not anymore. that was a short-lived foray by dell into the world of proprietary components. they since went back to the ATX standard. What your doing here is something called "confirmation bias" whereby all positive feedback that doesn't jive with your philosophy is discarded, while you frame all negative feedback (in this case about dell) in gold. You could do the exact same thing to any company; and in fact this is where conspiracy theories come from; discard any evidence that doesn't support your claim.

Additionally; kizza1645 is not the original poster, he may or may not have a dell computer, and wether he does or not is irrelevant for reasons I've already stated.

but scense your computer is a dell mabye dell offers some warrenty? or mabye dells can only use specific power supplys? sorry for trying to help mabye if you got a good computer i wouldnt need to talk about dells

Maybe, maybe... a little research and you'd know that Dell of course offers a warranty, and they now use standard ATX power supplies. (at least since 2001, since mine is ATX).

Dell is a computer assembler. they buy motherboards, graphics cards, etc  in bulk and assemble PCs from them. They go about it no different then any other manufacturer, and they use the same parts, so claiming a dell is any worse then a HP or compaq is merely an expression of your prejudice without cause on the company as a whole. (and don't make wild claims about defects with Dell computers. Toshiba, Acer, etc; they have their fair share of problems too.

And- back on topic;

while it could be the power supply, it's possible a power management feature has been enabled or something of the sort that causes it to hibernate or sleep, and in my experience power management in any computer is prone to failure with incompatible peripherals, (personal experience), causing the machine to be "stuck" in the sleep state.

Next time it occurs, try holding the power button for around 5 to 10 seconds; the machine should shut off completely, at which point you can boot up.

if that works (and I'm psychic or something  ;)) then investigate the power management options available in control panel; possibly even disable them completely.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 07:19:49 PM »
    really? any power supply now? i had no idea cause i herd it could kill the motherboard/psu hmm thanks for telling me

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
    unless of course they went back and did it again. All I know is my model has an ATX supply.

kizza1645

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 08:15:44 PM »
    Have we even confirmed this is a Dell computer yet?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
      To sum it up:

1) Yes, it's a Dell.

2) Older Dells require proprietary power supplies, but newer ones don't.

3) Andrew308: Have you checked diagnostic lights?
      http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps710/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1054589

4) Also, go to http://support.dell.com, click "Warranty Information," click "Warranty Status," then enter your Service Tag (seven-digit series of letters and numbers on top or side of PC--you can also find it on a bar code on back).  If under warranty, goto #5a.  If not, goto #5b.

5a) Click "Contact Us."  Click "More Details" under "Contact Dell Tech Support."  Click "Online Chat."  Put your Service Tag in.  Chat away!  Explain the problem and have them deal with swapping out your power supply.

5b) If out of warranty, just get a standard ATX power supply (Dell XPSes are new enough to where they don't require proprietary power supplies).  I was poking around to see if it actually needed a BTX power supply, but apparently it doesn't.  It does, however, use a 1000W power supply (holy ****!)  I would suggest sticking to that...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »
      woa 1000watt power supply! wow what a waste shure 8800gtx are power hogs but still i think you could get away with a good crosair 750watt

Andrew308

Topic Starter

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »
        Thank you all - I'm impressed with the degree of knowledge and helpfulness out there!

I have contacted Dell and they suspect its a power unit issue, but they are not certain so they suggest I take the machine to a local technician to check before purchasing a new power supply.
        Its no longer under warranty so if it is the power unit, I'll have to get a new one, either from them or from my local computer repair shop.
        I'm not familiar with the 'standard ATX' power supply - I'm in England/UK - is this a brand of type of unit that will be known to the computer guys here?

1000watt sounds like a lot but I guess if it will solve my problem I'll be buying one.

Thanks again for the helpful advice - much appreciated.

Happy New Year,

Andrew