Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What Is Really Meant by ReWritable CD? Also, Moving a Game  (Read 2545 times)

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• I have 5 points and I love to flash
    What Is Really Meant by ReWritable CD? Also, Moving a Game
    « on: December 12, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »
     ???  :'(  ???

I DON'T GET IT!!!!  AND IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

My laptop (aprox 5 years old) has a recordable cd drive; my Imation CDs say they are CD ReWritable.  

1) I put in a blank CD, copied a folder to it, and then considered that I would like to create a folder for this to be a subfolder of.  I created a new folder and gave it a distinct name.  Then I tried to move the original folder to the new folder.  I got a message saying there was trouble moving file "a" to the new folder.  I re-tried.  I had expected that all the files would simply move as a unit, subfolder to new folder.  I tried file "b", etc.  I erased the CD and tried again.  Why can't I move an existing folder on a CD to another folder?  I also can't move the individual file.  I keep getting told all these things are read only.  I finally realized I had to set up a folder first on the CD and copy files directly to the folder, since I won't be able to move them later.  

2) Why are these files read only?  Can I change that?  This means I have to keep a copy of the original file on my hard drive and make my changes on that, and then the changed version will replace original version on the CD.  Since the CD is rewritable, why can't I just make changes on the file on the CD?  I was hoping to get some files off my hard drive.

Those were personal files/folders I was refering to.  I also have another problem.

3) I have games saved on my hard drive.   These are games I purchased as downloads after either first playing a trial version or simply purchasing them directly.  Let's just call them mah-jong type games, not big, hefty action type games.  They are taking up a lot of space on my hard drive.  Just right now I can't buy a second hard drive.  So, I have questions about moving them:

3a) Obviously I'm not in love with my CD drive, but can I use it to move, not copy, the games to CDs?  If I can move it, would I first be able to copy it to a CD to make sure it's actually functions on the CD?  Would my scores get deleted in the copying/ moving process?  As you play a game, does the game need more storage space to contain your advancing process, or is everything you can accomplish with a game already counted in the number of kb when it was installed.  If my files on the CD are telling me they are read only, would the CD not record my new scores as I play the game?

Sorry if my questions are in the wrong place.  I looked at the various thread categories, and nothing seemed the right place.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: What Is Really Meant by ReWritable CD? Also, Moving a Game
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »
    1-2. I think, these two links will explain better, than I'll:
    http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7812.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2238974_copy-files-cdrw-being-read.html

3. Games, as any other programs can't be moved. They have to be reinstalled.

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 06:57:15 PM »
      1-2. I think, these two links will explain better, than I'll:
      http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7812.html
      http://www.ehow.com/how_2238974_copy-files-cdrw-being-read.html

3. Games, as any other programs can't be moved. They have to be reinstalled.

Thank you for a quick response.  I tried saving things on CD when I first got my computer but thought it wasn't working because I didn't know what I was doing.

About the games - how do I install a game on a CD, if there's enough room for it?  If I can move 2 of my lesser played games my hard drive will be ok, and I don't mind losing my scores.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »
      I don't think, you can install a program onto CD, because when you run a program, program files constantly change, and that's impossible on CD.
      Besides some program's file have to reside on hard drive anyway.
      Your best bet is a bigger hard drive. They're cheap.

Starwind51

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:44:22 PM »
        I don't think, you can install a program onto CD, because when you run a program, program files constantly change, and that's impossible on CD.
        Besides some program's file have to reside on hard drive anyway.
        Your best bet is a bigger hard drive. They're cheap.

I'll try reinstalling my brain!  ;D

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 07:47:45 PM »
        Don't torture yourself. Brainstoppers happen to all of us ;D