Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer won't boot in safe mode or any other mode  (Read 3459 times)

niece612

Topic Starter

Starter

computer won't boot in safe mode or any other mode
    « on: December 18, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
    I have a computer running Windows XP SP2. This morning my computer slowed to almost frozen. At the time I was running 1 program and Firefox. A window popped up in Firefox telling me that the site the pop-up came from was a "known attack site", so I closed it out and blocked it, and that's when the freezing up started.

I tried to run anti-virus and anti-malware software but they wouldn't even load. So I shut down the computer. When I tried to reboot I was getting the screen that tells me the computer restarted suddenly and asks me if I want to boot in safe mode, last known configuration, or normal. No matter what I select, it comes back to that same screen.

I did notice that if I select safe mode, it runs down a whole list of different driver locations. I don't know if I got a virus and it deleted some drivers and that's why it won't start. I don't know how to even go about getting it running again.

Please help!!!
    Thanks!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: computer won't boot in safe mode or any other mode
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:01:02 PM »
    Be patient and let safemode load fully and then run all your protection apps...
    It looks like sphaggeti when loading but let it run it's course.
    I've seen machines where it takes upwards of 8 minutes to load properly.
    After running your scans in safe mode  Click Here   and follow the instructions...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

niece612

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »
      Thank you. Maybe I wasn't clear about safe mode, because no matter what option I choose it attempts to start up, but ends up right back on the same screen asking me what mode to boot the computer in. It never makes it past that screen, no matter what option I choose.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
      Gotcha...
      And yes it wasn't clear what was happening.
      Put your XP CD in and power down.
      Re-boot and at the first prompt screen press R  to enter the Recovery Console.
      This will bring up a command prompt window.
      At the prompt type in fixboot and hit Enter.
      Remove the XP CD and re-boot.
      If this does not fix it repeat the above procedure except this time at the prompt type in fixmbr and hit Enter...again follow the above instructions.

niece612

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
        I didn't receive an XP cd when I bought my computer, but I did create a bootdisk on another computer and put it on mine last night. It wouldn't bring anything up. I even went into the BIOS and changed the boot order so the cdrom boots first. I'm at a loss. I don't know what else to try.

One more thing I noticed that might help in figuring this out... When I try to boot in any of the safe mode options, a list of driver locations scrolls up the screen. I'm not sure of all the driver names, but the location addresses look like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)windows\system32\DRIVERS\<name of driver>

There are about 30-35 lines of this in total, and it scrolls ONLY when I choose to boot in safe mode.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:38:13 PM »
        Recovery Console ISO DLoad.

Follow the instructions from your burning spftware on creating a bootable CD from an ISO image and see if this gets you out of this jam.