Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE 7 cannot open internet sites - error messages ?  (Read 5013 times)

Andromeda_M31

IE 7 cannot open internet sites - error messages ?
« on: December 20, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »
Hi, could someone help a damsel in distress?   I use a Packard Bell desktop PC with Windows XP home, IE 7.0 I use the free version of AVG and have done a whole computer scan recently which showed no problems.  I am not a complete computer novice but please be gentle and explain technical things slowly  :)

(1)  Quite often my CPU usage goes to 100% and pages are very slow to load, particularly on Ebay, its like going back to the old dial up days.  The fan comes on and I go and make a cup of tea while the page loads.

(2)  For a few weeks now I am getting red crosses where there used to be graphics or icons such as on Youtube login above the word "username" is a box with a red cross and above the words "sign in with your Google account". On Yahoo answers avatars page, there are no pictures visible on the avatar page, there used to be, now there are just red crosses.  If I right click to "show picture" nothing happens?  I have no icons on Ebay to indicate if people have paid or left feedback, just red crosses, its driving me mad.

(3) I get a frequent error message in a box "Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site www..........whatever.com  Operation aborted"  When I click on OK I get taken to page "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage most likely causes not connected ........  Diagnose connnection problems .... etc etc "   However this page has red crosses in boxes at the left where there should be information.

If I press F5 to refresh sometimes the orginal page I was accessing loads correctly, sometimes it hangs completely and when I try to close it I get this message inside a box  "The window is busy, closing this window may cause some problems do you want to close anyway OK or cancel?"

I've tried started IE without addons as suggested on another IE forum post but it didn't make any difference to the red cross problem. 

Would I bet better to give up on IE and download Firefox maybe? Would this solve the pages slow to load problem?

Thanks very much

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: IE 7 cannot open internet sites - error messages ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:00:00 AM »
I suspect something to do with Malware.

I would start here:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
(Steps 3, 4 and 6)